Devonian Coral Inspiration for Van Gogh Painting?

DPS Ammonite

I found several varieties of Devonian corals, including Pachyphyllum, Hexagonaria, Thamnopora and Alveolites near Superior, Arizona. Check out this Pachyphyllum woodmani that reminds me of the painting The Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh. The painting also inspired a great song by Don McLean: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

Pachyphyllum lack common walls with their neighboring corallites. The septa grow in a curving manner towards each other meeting in a slightly irregular fashion.

44610D8E-1E35-45BF-A7DE-B53D129451D5.jpeg

6D19A008-97E2-4F14-BD55-43C9FC8EE7A5.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 9

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I think that his "inspiration" came rather from his psychosis, which can cause such visual effects as an LSD trip can do. I think that's why so many Hippies back in the heydays fell in love with his art.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Tidgy's Dad
Great minds think alike Adam! That Dr. Who episode was my first thought. A great one. Although, a box of tissue is required for a big softie such as myself. :( 

@DPS Ammonite

Beautiful coral. :wub:

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)