Tabulate coral ID - Syringopora or Aulopora?

Doug Von Gausig

The attached photo is a group of Thamnopora corals found in the Devonian Martin formation - dolomites of central Arizona's Verde Valley. There is also a group of tabulate corals that I suspect are Syringopora sp.. but some collection notes by others don't show this genus, but they do show Aulopora sp. as found in the same location. See the small worm-like cluster near the center of the image. Can any of you confirm which genus is in the image?

Tabulate Corals-PSX_20201130_092539.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Lovely piece! :)

Yes, Aulopora sp. from the Martin Formation does look very like a syringoporid. 

Here's a thread : 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Welcome from Scottsdale.

Check out my Arizona Paleontology Guide: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/86597-arizona-paleontology-guide/

Did you find your fossil at Chasm Creek?

It might be Syringopora. More of the coral might need to be exposed or you might have to look at it under magnification. Syringopora have mostly long branches that are not conical and short like AuloporaAulocystis is another candidate that I have little knowledge about. It is pictured along with Aulopora and Syringopora in Langland, Jeffrey O. and Edith V., 2012, "Fauna of a 400-Million-Year-Old Coral Reef in Arizona", Rocks and Minerals, 87:1, 40-44. 

Here is Aulopora from Wikipedia:

146906BB-F7E9-4511-B5A3-26E3BA861063.jpeg

There are no peer reviewed publications that describe Aulopora, Syringopora and Aulocystis corals from the Devonian Martin (or any other formations) in Arizona. This is a hint to paleontology students or professionals looking for a project.

Here is what I think is a 13 cm long Syringopora from Chasm Creek. Note the long branches.

F7CB6FC3-2C76-4FFE-8439-B46FE99D7DEF.jpeg

48906460-3F3C-41CB-8C86-5B582F7358DD.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks to both of you. Looks like more exploration is in order. Maybe a better specimen will be more definitive. Yes, the location was near Chasm Creek. I'll be out there several times in the next few weeks. I'll keep an eye out especially for this coral. 

29 minutes ago, Doug Von Gausig said:

Thanks to both of you. Looks like more exploration is in order. Maybe a better specimen will be more definitive. Yes, the location was near Chasm Creek. I'll be out there several times in the next few weeks. I'll keep an eye out especially for this coral. 

Get a free account with JSTOR to view a great article on Martin Fm. fossils. The Chasm Creek sites are 58-61.

Beus, S. (1978). Late Devonian (Frasnian) Invertebrate Fossils from the Jerome Member of the Martin Formation, Verde Valley, Arizona. Journal of Paleontology, 52(1), 40-54. link Great resource with photos.

Also, you can soak the silicified fossils in limestone in dilute HCl/pool acid to better expose them. Let us know if you need further details. Show us you finds.

As an aside, since you like fossils found in the Verde watershed, see my palm, reeds and silicified Miocene lacustrine stromatolites:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/103166-arizona-miocene-meanders/&tab=comments#comment-1147041

I have heard that they have carbonate stromatolites in the Verde Formation. I would like to see one for comparison to mine.

Regards,

John

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks John, That's the reference I used to find this site and others around me. I have seen some of what I thought were Stromatolites, but I'll pay more attention in the future. I'm going out tomorrow to map the Chasm Creek site photogrammatically. This will give me hi-res 2d, 3d, and elevational representations of the site. It's done using a drone, and helps me plan trips, find remote outcroppings, etc. 

I've attached one photo taken in the Chasm Creek site that may be a stomatolite?

Doug

Stromatolite Possibility-ChasmCreek-20201128_134923-1-1m.jpg

Thanks Packy. I'm going out to try to see more examples of this one soon. I'll post results here.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I returned to the site and found what I believe are Aulopora fossils as well as Syringopora. The Aulopora suspect is in the photo below. I'd appreciate any opinions on this one.

I'll post the Syringopora (and several more from the same stone) right away.

Aulopora-ChasmCk-Fossils-20201203_151906-1m.jpg

Here's the one I suspect of being Syringopora. These are far more common at this site than the one I posted as Aulopora.

Syringopora-ChasmCk-121120-5D Mark II-IMG_9948-1m.jpg

If you want help searching the area I'll be in Phoenix from Christmas - Feb 01 (minus a week in CA) Hoping to get some dig time in while there. I've been to an area along the Verde River near Payson before.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, Doug Von Gausig said:

I've attached one photo taken in the Chasm Creek site that may be a stomatolite?

Doug

Stromatolite Possibility-ChasmCreek-20201128_134923-1-1m.jpg

It looks more like colonial coral, Hexagoneria?

I have never seen any stromatolites near Chasm Creek; stromatoporoids, sponges, yes.

29 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

If you want help searching the area I'll be in Phoenix from Christmas - Feb 01 (minus a week in CA) Hoping to get some dig time in while there. I've been to an area along the Verde River near Payson before.

Just in time for Fall in Phoenix. Some trees only loose their leaves because the spring growth in February pushed them off.

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/12/2020 at 2:33 AM, Sjfriend said:

Sure, just let me know when you'll have some time!

Edited by JohnJ
Removed email address

Hi,

NEVER put a clickable email on a forum ! It will be quickly caught by spammers ! It’s a matter of common sense, and I keep saying it. You have to write dougvg @ esedona.net or dougvg -at- esedona.net

And there is a private message system on the forum ! It is not mandatory to give your email...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 12/12/2020 at 12:08 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

Just in time for Fall in Phoenix. Some trees only loose their leaves because the spring growth in February pushed them off.

There is no fall in Phoenix :heartylaugh: Just hot summer and not so hot summer (and I've been there for both!)  @DPS Ammonite Would like better info for working with the pool acids on these types.

22 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

There is no fall in Phoenix :heartylaugh: Just hot summer and not so hot summer (and I've been there for both!)  @DPS Ammonite Would like better info for working with the pool acids on these types.

Well then, don’t forget your shorts and Chupacabra antivenom. Bring bright clothing since it is jackalope hunting season.

When I get time I’ll have to create a post on acid prepping Arizona silicified fossils.