Chesapecten Bivalves SW FL

Brondonh

I have recently expanded my fossil hunting  to collecting and hunting different shells. Growing up in Florida I found it pretty easy to just overlook them and not take notice to how fascinating each one is. I recently found a nectar spot in Nokomis and one in Northport Florida that has quite a few different Scallop fossils. 
my issue is, I have been looking around on internet and on this page to identify them. There is so much information on this web site I can’t say enough how thankful I am for it. I have also found a study by the Florida Museum of Natural History about different species of Chesapectens found in SW Florida and in the Panhandle. I feel I’m finding conflicting information and would like to be certain upon what I have been finding. I live in Venice, FL and the areas I have been searching on are on the Tamiami Formation. All of these where found on new construction sites where they are digging a new lakes. 

i will attempt to put a link up of the study I am referring to. It was already posted in one of the threads I found on this pages, so some of you maybe familiar with it already.thanks in advace

Brandon

here is link to the report

vol56no1archival.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

@MikeR is an authority on this stuff and can probably help. Ward and Blackwelder's original publication is informative. https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0861/report.pdf

This report talks a lot on morphological variation.

https://scholarworks.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1438&context=honorstheses

The Tamiami formation is large and if it is possible to narrow your finds to subunits it should help as Chesapecten species are generally limited to specific stratigraphic sequences.

Taken from the linked report.

Chesapecten.png.414fb7ef1ebb4f1ecf6f72799f1e32a9.png

• I found this Informative 3

29 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

@MikeR is an authority on this stuff and can probably help. Ward and Blackwelder's original publication is informative. https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0861/report.pdf

This report talks a lot on morphological variation.

https://scholarworks.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1438&context=honorstheses

The Tamiami formation is large and if it is possible to narrow your finds to subunits it should help as Chesapecten species are generally limited to specific stratigraphic sequences.

Taken from the linked report.

Chesapecten.png.414fb7ef1ebb4f1ecf6f72799f1e32a9.png

thank you That link will be very helpful. I will definitely give it a look at on my lunch break the morphology looks interesting. It’s what I like about this hobby I can’t learn enough it seems like. I found these in Sarasota County is where Nokomis is located and North Port is on the border of Sarasota County in Charlotte County.

I am intrigued with what looks to me a possibility of a growth series of the shell in your 1st pic from Nokomis, the 1st 4 from the bottom in the 4 th row and looks like all in the 5th row. These may be the same as the B shell? If the same shell, that would be an interesting display of their growth. Beautiful shells. thanks for showing.

Yep Brandon those are very cool! We do have quite the variety of Pecten types here in Florida and are blessed when it comes to shells. I have quite a pile as well.

That link you mentioned to Thomas Waller's Pub SYSTEMATICS AND BIOSTRATIGRAPHY OF CHESAPECTEN AND CAROLINAPECTEN (MOLLUSCA: BIVALVIA: PECTINIDAE) IN THE UPPER MIOCENE AND PLIOCENE “LOWER TAMIAMI FORMATION” OF SOUTHWESTERN FLORIDA discusses the Tamiami Fm nicely. I do believe you've got Carolinapecten and Chesapecten in there but as stated above Mike is the go to guy for sorting thru the specifics. 

Continued hunting success...

Regards, Chris 

16 hours ago, Brondonh said:

4DE25DE7-77E3-43BA-B280-68FB9BFAB387.jpeg

8813533C-3D2A-450B-9C1A-AA0CBA922726.jpeg

If this were from the mid-Atlantic, I'd call it Chesapecten jeffersonius septanarius, but I don't know if the species is found that far south, or may be called something else

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

14 hours ago, Brondonh said:

thank you That link will be very helpful. I will definitely give it a look at on my lunch break the morphology looks interesting. It’s what I like about this hobby I can’t learn enough it seems like. I found these in Sarasota County is where Nokomis is located and North Port is on the border of Sarasota County in Charlotte County.

Oops. I should scroll down to the end of the responses before I post, haha

George Santayana

16 hours ago, Brondonh said:

Here is some of what I found in two days at the Nokomis location 

5EA3D9CD-9082-4CC1-B8B2-EDD88A845843.jpeg

Beautiful shells, btw

George Santayana

Hi Brandon

I apologize that I did not respond to your PM, but work has been a b**** lately.  It was on my list to do, however I think that sharing images directly to the forum is more informative.

Lately I have had a few requests for Chesapecten identification and whether Waller's FLMNH publication is useful.  In this instance it is as these are found within Waller's study area.  Your images suggests that the sites are in the Lower Tamiami Formation, possibly in Bed 11.  As follows:

A. Chesapecten madisonius sarasotaensis

B. Chesapecten quinarius.  I like seeing that they are common at your site.  They were very rare in the Sarasota pits.

C. Carolinapecten eboreus.  This species has a lot of regional/formational variation.  A taxonomic splitter could really go to town on naming new species although hopefully a manuscript would never make it pass peer review.

D. and E.  I struggled with these two, but I am leaning towards Argopecten anteamplicostata.  If that is what they are, yours are much larger than any that I have collected.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

28 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Hi Brandon

I apologize that I did not respond to your PM, but work has been a b**** lately.  It was on my list to do, however I think that sharing images directly to the forum is more informative.

Lately I have had a few requests for Chesapecten identification and whether Waller's FLMNH publication is useful.  In this instance it is as these are found within Waller's study area.  Your images suggests that the sites are in the Lower Tamiami Formation, possibly in Bed 11.  As follows:

A. Chesapecten madisonius sarasotaensis

B. Chesapecten quinarius.  I like seeing that they are common at your site.  They were very rare in the Sarasota pits.

C. Carolinapecten eboreus.  This species has a lot of regional/formational variation.  A taxonomic splitter could really go to town on naming new species although hopefully a manuscript would never make it pass peer review.

D. and E.  I struggled with these two, but I am leaning towards Argopecten anteamplicostata.  If that is what they are, yours are much larger than any that I have collected.

Mike

Thank you Mike i appreciate your insight, as im sure many other people on the site do. No worries about not responding, you are correct with posting on the forum, that way it can be useful for others. I am currently sitting in my truck in front of this location in Nokomis debating on taking a look around. 

As for D and E the place where i fond them has much larger ones not sure if that helps and i probably should post better quality images. At that location in North Port thee are also clusters of them in huge chuncks that are beautiful, i will share a couple i grabbed maybe that can help with identifying.

thanks again 

Brandon

BD543ADA-3CF4-414B-8D44-51AF0F0D8190.jpeg

Really nice pectens. Thanks for sharing them on here. @MikeR is the man.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

3 hours ago, Brondonh said:

As for D and E the place where i fond them has much larger ones not sure if that helps and i probably should post better quality images. At that location in North Port thee are also clusters of them in huge chuncks that are beautiful, i will share a couple i grabbed maybe that can help with identifying.

thanks again 

Brandon

After reviewing Waller's paper on Argopecten (Waller, T.R. 1969. The evolution of the Argopecten gibbus stock (Mollusca: Bivalvia), with emphasis on the Tertiary and Quaternary species of eastern North America. Journal of Paleontology, Memoir 3 (vol. 43, suppl. to No. 5) I'm more convinced that they are A. anteamplecostata albeit large individuals.  What kind of matrix are they found in?  If sandy limestone then they are in the Ochopee Member of the Tamiami which is where I found them before.

Mike 

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

8 hours ago, MikeR said:

After reviewing Waller's paper on Argopecten (Waller, T.R. 1969. The evolution of the Argopecten gibbus stock (Mollusca: Bivalvia), with emphasis on the Tertiary and Quaternary species of eastern North America. Journal of Paleontology, Memoir 3 (vol. 43, suppl. to No. 5) I'm more convinced that they are A. anteamplecostata albeit large individuals.  What kind of matrix are they found in?  If sandy limestone then they are in the Ochopee Member of the Tamiami which is where I found them before.

Mike 

yes they are sandy. there is a few 20’ hills of them, maybe more. they are building a shopping center there.