Chesapecten & Hystrivasum identification help

Conuropsis

Hi all,

Hwlp with id. please:-)  The first photo shows what are Hystrivasum locklinii and horridum I believe.  They are all from the APAC/Newburn Pit, Sarasota, Florida, collected by E. Dunlop on January 2, 1984.  I think the next three scallops are all Chesapecten jeffersonius, but not 100% sure.  They were all collected from Rice's Fossil Pit in Hampton, Virginia, in August 1964 by M. Fuldner.  All shells are from the Miocene.  I hope someone can help me.  I never got a response the last time I posted a few years ago about sharks teeth:-(  

Thanks,

Andrew

SAM_5589.JPG

SAM_5593.JPG

SAM_5594.JPG

SAM_5596.JPG

Edited by Conuropsis
  • Enjoyed 1

• Conuropsis changed the title to Chesapecten & Hystrivasum identification help

Those are very nice gastropods.  They certainly look like one of the species of Hystrivasum based on @MikeR album (link below).  I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell the difference between species, so hopefully Mike will respond when he gets a chance.  I know he has a post on the Forum also about differentiating the Chesapectens.  

Thanks ClearLake.  I'll take a look.  Hope he does eventually look at them too.  He seems to be the expert on here:-)

Andrew

• Enjoyed 1