hatching egg

LA fossils

It's a concretion, quite an interesting looking one, but not a fossil. 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I can readily see why you are imagining that this object is what you are stating in the title and I would at least keep it as a curiosity, but I agree completely with Tidgy's Dad.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Mother nature at work once again.  Certainly has the look of an egg but unfortunately like the others have said its a Concretion.  Interesting specimen that I would keep.

Not an egg, unfortunately. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked and unlocked this topic
15 minutes ago, jpc said:

cool rock!

Agreed, looks like a turtle head peeking out

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I would say chert nodule instead of concretion photos can be missleading so I put a photo of a concretion that looks like a egg.  turtle eggs are round at least you can see the shape of a head so I'm not that far off. i put an example of why its neck looks weird. here is the top of the head and different angel. do you think brushing it with a soft paintbrush would make it symmetrical? only if there is somethings symmetrical right. it has the correct texture, shape looks like an animal head you can see distinct features like an eye mouth, lip or beak, arm all correct in  location here is a link for new information on concretions  ever since they do make some of the best fossils https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2018/05/03/scientists-crack-mystery-of-how-concretions-form/?sh=1e7f990e3857. thank you for looking.

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

embryo.PNG

concre.PNG

:rolleyes:Im not arguing in any way. I was just wondering what features tell you this is not a egg and what features would it have to have for you to say that's a egg.  :zzzzscratchchin:

19 minutes ago, LA fossils said:

:rolleyes:Im not arguing in any way. I was just wondering what features tell you this is not a egg and what features would it have to have for you to say that's a egg.  :zzzzscratchchin:

Texture, appearance, thickness, material, first look at the thickness of the “shell” it’s too thick for a newborn to break through. Even On the biggest eggs The shell is...well eggshell thin... the material it’s made out of is all wrong. The textures are wrong on both the “egg” and the head. There are no bone texture to the head. On skulls they aren’t all one piece. They are made up of many bones and you’d be able to see the separations. Etc etc etc. look at pictures of actual fossil skulls and eggs and the differences will quickly become apparent. Also the head is too big. There wouldn’t be room for the rest of the body... but still a really cool rock! I’d keep it in my collection!

• I found this Informative 1

29 minutes ago, LA fossils said:

Please read this.

10 hours ago, LA fossils said:

Wow!  I am knew to this forum and really have no idea what it is but I would have to agree with you...I can definitely see what you are seeing.

10 hours ago, Randyw said:

Texture, appearance, thickness, material, first look at the thickness of the “shell” it’s too thick for a newborn to break through. Even On the biggest eggs The shell is...well eggshell thin... the material it’s made out of is all wrong. The textures are wrong on both the “egg” and the head. There are no bone texture to the head. On skulls they aren’t all one piece. They are made up of many bones and you’d be able to see the separations. Etc etc etc. look at pictures of actual fossil skulls and eggs and the differences will quickly become apparent. Also the head is too big. There wouldn’t be room for the rest of the body... but still a really cool rock! I’d keep it in my collection!

everyone knows that fossils are made from the material that is in the area. The shell is thin like paper. there is a layer. You can see where I brushed through the right side sinus cavity. So if I clean off the other side and there is an eye same as on the other side will it be an egg. And you can see the bones of the tail in that void. your wrong about the room in the egg sorry that's a fact maybe try looking it up again when a turtle hatches in a couple of minutes its bigger than its egg it's true  I use to raise horsefeild torts .And its cracked down the middle only the white part was sticking out when I found it I chipped and brushed the rest away. look how tight this guy is in his shell. And what should I be looking for in an egg you told me all the negative points but forgot to tell me what you know about a fossil egg. tell me what part you want to see ill take specific photos so they can be seen easily. thank you for your input

embryo.PNG

On 12/4/2020 at 11:27 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's a concretion, quite an interesting looking one, but not a fossil. 

there is a  big difference of what your talking about  

concre.PNG

26 minutes ago, LA fossils said:

tell me what part you want to see ill take specific photos so they can be seen easily. thank you for your inpu

Ok. Show me a single skull suture...show me a single individual vertebrae, show me a single individual bone of any kind.if this was a fossil anything hatching out of an egg there would be identifiable bones. There aren’t any here. Sorry it’s a rock... I see what you think you’re seeing but it’s just an illusion.

Fossilized eggs with embryos are exceedingly RARE few have ever been found  but here are images of what a dinosaur looks like.  You can see clearly see bone, structure and a skeleton.  Very little if no soft tissue or embryonic fluid material remains.  Its not a blob but the remnants of an egg with shell and bones.

Screenshot_20201207-001628_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9530a7a80de77989150ca2b231517dde.jpg

2996.jpg.9949b7b234674ecc3ffbf5b742b0ef6b.jpg811ecfb9e4a9923cd71cc5439ca98d3f.jpg.6aa11c610a49a11dd7636305f47dc7f9.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Finding fossils is all about looking to identify textures like bone or shell that with a trained eye stands out from the  surrounding rock.   What you done here is found a rock that is shaped like an egg which is not that unusual and then assigned it features like an embryo. You rock has no shell, bone and or any signs of fossilisation of any distance life. It is just the shape that your going by and not the facts in hand .

Here one of Mother Nature’s at her trickiest  a fossil dog or rock just a rock formation? 

A0253D7C-2525-4AB1-8A18-51239DF0F3B6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, LA fossils said:

And what should I be looking for in an egg you told me all the negative points but forgot to tell me what you know about a fossil egg.

I did that when I gave you the link above. Haven't you read it yet or did you just choose to ignore all of the information given? I see no point in debating with you any further. Please take your rock to the nearest natural history museum and ask the resident geologist/paleontologist about it and then you can start a debate with him if you like.

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, LA fossils said:

big difference  

Mother nature produces endless varieties of concretions and egg shaped rocks. ;) 

The actual big difference is that real fossil eggs have texture, thin shells, and look nothing like your rock. 

Not one member with any fossil experience can agree with you. Including people with many years of dinosaur fossil experience. 

Since you will not accept our ID's, and cannot be swayed from your beliefs, we will have to agree to disagree.

This topic is now locked, as further discussion is pointless. 

@LA fossils  We wish you the best in coming to terms with what you have found.

Please take your items to a paleontologist to look at in hand. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic