keichousaurus 2x

Ezio Bonsignore

Can you suffer yet another keichousaurus-related question, and a twin one as that?

These two are being offered on an auction site by different and continents-apart sellers. Both sellers are located outside China, so unless they both rely on triangulation operations it would appear that the problems related to the Chinese fossil export ban have already been solved one way or another. Item #1 is 24cm long, item #2 16 cm. Bidding on both is currently very low.

Do you see reasons to regard any of these two  critters (or both) as suspicious or anyway to be avoided? If noth, which one should I try and go for?

Thanks in advance

one.jpg

Argh! Its always a pain in the a... to see such a lovely fossil so destroyed.

First one is ground to death, second one seems a little bit better. Avoid both! No wonder, bids are going low...

We had a really good example here on TFF, really good prep is able to bring this animals nearly back to live:

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

This one certainly looks loke as a much better prep work (and it is priced accordingly), but... is it possible for a calcite vein to go through and above the bones?! And if not, what moron of a faker would make such a stupid mistake?

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, Ezio Bonsignore said:

This one certainly looks loke as a much better prep work (and it is priced accordingly), but... is it possible for a calcite vein to go through and above the bones?! And if not, what moron of a faker would make such a stupid mistake?

Quite blurry pic, but it looks indeed much better. No problem with the calcite veins. They may be sturdy and the bone material adjacent to the veins prone to breakage if you try to remove the calcite. So the calcite is left behind (no bone beneath it!),  and therefore it is a little bit higher than the adjacent bones.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 3

Many thanks again. This will quite probably end up beyond my budget but at least I've learned something new. This forum in invaluable

Both are real but may have some paint job to enhance details lost through rough prepping e.g. the smaller bones on the tail

The second specimen is better

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Echoing what others have said! Some painted digits, but real! The first one, I think, is actually pretty good by most standards. Second one is pretty ground. 

On 12/13/2020 at 10:33 AM, Ezio Bonsignore said:

s-l1600.jpg

Seeing the calcite veins going through the bone is a good thing. Nice keichousaurus despite the missing tail.