Is this what I think and hope it is ??

Nobby

Hi all and Seasons Greetings

I was wondering if you may be able to give me a clue as to what I found about 5 years ago on a beach in North Yorkshire....not too far away from the beautiful town of Whitby.

I was mooching around the rocks at the bottom of the cliff when I came across a 'cluster' of 5 egg shaped stones....I removed just one of the 'eggs' and it now sits proudly on my desk.

The flat area that can be seen in the first and second photos is where the item was resting against another in the cluster.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Kind regards

Bob........(Nobby)

Resize 1.jpg

Resize 2.jpg

resize.jpg

Resize 3.jpg

Resize 4.jpg

Hello, and seasons greeting to you and yours.

Unfortunately, that is a concretion and not an egg. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you for your very fast reply MotM.....I've read a little about concretions and see that they can be a bit of a mystery...so not the answer I was hoping for but at least I now know that I have a very old paperweight.

Thanks again

Bob....... 

• I found this Informative 1

If I find something like that, the power of my rock hammer is brought down upon it. Wonderful things exist inside rocks like this. But don't hit it yet until more members have a chance to weigh in, just in case...... But agreement with Tidgy's Dad is likely.

Also, let me COMMEND YOU on rapidly accepting the advice from The Fossil Forum in spite of your hopes being dashed with the concretion theory. In most posts like this by newcomers, they continue to endlessly argue their hopes against some very intelligent and educated members. Thanks for not putting us through that. With that said, don't be afraid to ask WHY if needed. For example, Adam said concretion without giving reason. I hope a real egg will come your way soon. And I hope to see other fossils from your area.

Mike  

• I found this Informative 4

Unless you really want to keep that concretion as it is, I'd give it a good whack on the side in the hopes that there's an ammonite in it. There are tons more of those things where it came from.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Concretion LINK

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Thank you so much everyone for the replies and the most interesting links....I have thought a few times since finding my 'not really an egg' of giving it a thump with my hammer, however the uncertainty of what it actually is or was overtook the aggression and its been left in peace on my desk....BUT... now that I know that it has, for the past few years been telling me lies, I may just give it an investigative tap or two !!

Again my thanks

Regards

Bob.........

3 minutes ago, Nobby said:

I may just give it an investigative tap or two !

If you do, Id be curious to see the inside. :)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I had a similar "cannon ball" on my desk for years...can't even remember where I found it. Rolled off and broke on the floor to reveal a crab!

If you crack it open and find something, keep us posted!

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

Well....the deed is done (in part anyway)....I've bashed my 'not really an egg' and I have to say that for its apparent age it really is a tough little blighter, and despite my threats of its potential total annihilation, it has so far wholeheartedly refused to break down the middle.......however after even more bashing (and the odd naughty word) shards did break off giving a bit of an insight as to what may be concealed within........this being, to my totally untrained eye, appears to be something akin to prehistoric mud !!

I shall post a picture very soon in the hope that all may not be lost, and you guys will tell me that I now have a smashed 'not really an egg' which contains a very rare and valuable compound which sells to the cosmetics industry for £1000's per gram .......something like whale vomit !!!!

Regards

Bob........

I guessed as much....oh well I still have my paperweight I suppose, albeit somewhat battered, and the thought of what might have been......by the way, and I know its a long shot, but do you have any idea (very roughly) how old my prehistoric lump of mud is likely to be ?

Bob.......

4 hours ago, Nobby said:

mud 1.jpg

If you crack enough concretions from a wide geographical area you will find something interesting whether it be a fossil, an agate or a geode. Too bad that there is no market for those giant white dilithium crystals in your piece.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.