Douglas Ripsom

Titanoboa4.thumb.jpg.72714986f844e678e47e7d291bec23fc.jpgTitanoboa3.thumb.jpg.c77411762d9d74b73be5adc93cf06918.jpgTitanoboa2.thumb.jpg.b5c6b392084e61f49ef821f94cd41a19.jpgTitanoboa1.thumb.jpg.5e6a1a3f50ba5e268a79c6cd5a7fa7d5.jpg

It's been nearly two years since last I posted, but I'm back with one of my latest creations, a lifesize replica of a bone from Titanoboa cerrejonensis.

The smaller bone next to it is a vertebra from a(n estimated) 10-12-foot anaconda which I used for reference.

Enjoy!

• I found this Informative 5

Wow! If you hadn't said it was a replica, I would have assumed it was real! (Don't give the Moroccan "artists" any ideas. :))

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

23 hours ago, digit said:

Very cool (and welcome back). What is it made out of?

Cheers.

-Ken

It's actually made (believe it or not) from paper. There's an art product called "Celluclay" which is made of shredded newsprint and glue-powder. Just mix with water and knead to the desired consistency and then sculpt. Let dry for about a week, and then it's ready to carve/paint/whatever. I stained my result with ordinary wood-stain, and I like the result.

I used the same material in creating my thylacoleo skull.

21 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Wow! If you hadn't said it was a replica, I would have assumed it was real! (Don't give the Moroccan "artists" any ideas. :))

LOL I know all about them. I saw a resin replica from France which was being sold for about $250, and I was just an inch away from buying it, when I remembered I had some anaconda vertebrae I could use for reference (along with a couple of Titanoboa documentaries on DVD).

On 12/26/2020 at 8:15 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Nice sculpting in your replica .

:thumbsu: 

I had fun working on it! My niece informed me that one of her two boys thought it looked like a pokemon.

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice replica!  There was a Titanoboa exhibit touring various museums in/around 2013.  I saw it when it was at the Florida Museum of Natural History.

Years before that, one of the dealers at Tucson had large snake vertebrae for sale from the Paleocene of Mali.