Southern Illinois Shell

Dsmech

Hi All,

I've been spending some time with family in Southern Illinois, in Madison County.

In between eating too much for the holidays I've been exploring around the farm and the creeks for arrowheads and anything else I can find...while exploring one creek bed near some rather large cliffs I found what I am guessing is a fossilized shell, some kind of sea snail/whelk/conch. I don't know if this was an unwanted hermit crab someone tossed away, or a part of a shell garden that made it's way in there, or a legitimate fossilized shell.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, D

63070504867__A3EAFF58-ABE4-4A5E-ACF3-1F0B4623D8C3.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_3281.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Madison County is all Carboniferous I believe. This does not look like a Carboniferous gastropod. Might not even be fossilized.

Stramonita canaliculata a marine gastropod that dates back to the Pliocene, so it is not a fossil as the Pliocene shoreline never reached that far north.  That doesn't discount it as transport by Native Americans.  LINK

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

29 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Stramonita canaliculata a marine gastropod that dates back to the Pliocene, so it is not a fossil as the Pliocene shoreline never reached that far north.  That doesn't discount it as transport by Native Americans.  LINK

Mike

Thanks Mike!