Capitola Beach, CA finds

Ornithurae

I recently went to Capitola beach for the first time. I found three of what I believe are cetacean fossils but I am very new to paleontology so I am not quite sure. These were found right on the beach under cliffs in the Purisima Formation. The images are quite large so I will post them in the comments

Here is #1

PXL_20201228_025214176.jpg

PXL_20201228_025206138.jpg

Edited by Ornithurae
clarification

#1 is certainly a worn cetacean vertebra.  #2 is bone, but too worn down for me to offer a suggestion about what kind of bone it might be.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

#1 is certainly a worn cetacean vertebra.  #2 is bone, but too worn down for me to offer a suggestion about what kind of bone it might be.

Don

7 hours ago, Scylla said:

Looks like the first one is a cetacean vert.

If you have any more information about what species or what part of the vertebrae I'd love to hear it, otherwise thanks for your help! : )

Just now, cck said:

Here’s a similar one from Virginia... I think most of the features that could be diagnostic are worn away...

4E89B60F-EAEA-4A2F-9FC6-4814A11C3F81.jpeg

oh wow, that does look a lot like what I have. It is pretty worn so that makes sense, thank you!

I wouldn't be able to ID it further even if it was pristine. Some on here might, but with that amount of wear I suspect cetacean vert is the best you can do. Still a great find!

2 hours ago, Scylla said:

I wouldn't be able to ID it further even if it was pristine. Some on here might, but with that amount of wear I suspect cetacean vert is the best you can do. Still a great find!

No worries, thanks!