FossilNerd

The below is probably my favorite species of solitary rugose coral that I have personally collected (I love the little spines!). It is know to be found throughout the Chesterian, but I have found them specifically in the Glen Dean Limestone.  I have them labeled as Zaphrentites spinulosum largely based on the description and remarks in the paper Rodríguez, S., & Kopaska-Merkel, D. (2014). Mississippian Rugose Corals from Alabama: A Review. Journal Of Paleontology, 88(5), 829-850.

In that paper the authors admit to the specimens they studied as usually being labeled as Amplexizaphrentis, but their findings from those studied specimens show the species to fit better in the genus Zaphrentites. See below:

Remarks.—This species usually has been assigned to the genus
Amplexizaphrentis (Zaphrentis and Triplophyllites in old papers),
but all specimens studied show a counter septum that is not
shortened and the counter-lateral septa are not longer than other
septa (this is one of the diagnostic features observed in the type
specimen of Amplexizaphrentis). Consequently, it has been
included in the genus Zaphrentites, as well as most zaphrentid
species studied in this paper. The corals described in the literature
under this name also show the same features in the Chesterian
from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, and even as far as
Montana (Easton, 1945).  

Also in the paper Sando, W., & Bamber, E. (1985). Coral zonation of the Mississippian system in the Western Interior Province of North America. United States Government Printing Office. the authors discuss the genus Amplexizaphrentis and it's need for restudy of many assigned species (see below).

This genus [Amplexizaphrentis], as presently recognized, includes corals previously assigned to Zaphrentites Hudson, 1941, and Menophyllum Milne-Edwards and Haime, 1850 (e.g., Sando, 1960b, 1969). The nominal species are in need of restudy, and large collections assigned to this taxon have never been studied at the species level. Detailed work on these collections would probably result in recognition of stratigraphically useful species.

Lastly, and the least scientific reason, is that most pictures of like specimens that I can find online are labeled as Zaphrentites spinulosum. Until someone informs me otherwise, I'm going with that ID. Of course, as always seems to be the case with corals, cross sections and peels are the only surefire way to get a positive ID.

Enough of my ramblings. Here is the good stuff. ;) 

Side view of a couple different specimens. Notice the septal furrows, wrinkles, and short spines on the epitheca. These two specimens are about as large as they get.

5ff67a3906a8a_Zaphrentitesspinulosum.thumb.JPG.29e26e4eda3a836804520215f75c5604.JPG

Here is a view of one of the calyx. Notice the deep cardinal fossula and how the septa all converge in the middle.

Calice.thumb.JPG.f450b790d758b63d449b60f60d5ad40e.JPG

The next three pictures are closeups to show the short spines on the epitheca. They are usually found spread randomly, but can also be in rings around the corallite. 

Spines1.thumb.JPG.ff9740c13a7cf379795bafc4c750e8ac.JPG

5ff67a353a893_Z.spinulosumcloseup(sideview).thumb.JPG.c8141248d1044bc0e66ca14f14f402cd.JPG

Spines2.jpg.3177843edae07cba088ddd51eb76ac39.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Very nice.:)

Zaphrentis was another one of those bucket taxa that has now been split into many genera in modern times. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Hi Wayne loving your thread full of information. Fantastic Coral specimen here :envy:
and again really nice photography. Cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

20 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice.:)

Zaphrentis was another one of those bucket taxa that has now been split into many genera in modern times. 

Thanks Adam! I’ve noticed that about Zaphrentis and a few other taxa. Seems that “back in the day” a lot of things just got lumped together. Then once ID techniques improved and specimens were restudied things changed. Multiple times in some cases. Keeps me on my toes when trying to research for sure!

20 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi Wayne loving your thread full of information. Fantastic Coral specimen here :envy:
and again really nice photography. Cheers Bobby 

Thanks Bobby! :) 

I like to share my fossils, but also what I have discovered about them. For me, research is half the fun!  Glad you are enjoying it. 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 1/2/2021 at 12:33 AM, FossilNerd said:

Agreed. The Lithostrotion thing is a mess! 

I wanted to add one more before I pop off for a few hours of sleep.

The below is a corallite that was also found in the St. Louis Limestone. Although from a  different exposure in Hardin County. The orange color is staining from the local “red clay” found there. 

Acrocyathus is found throughout the Mississippian, but it is very common in the local St. Louis Limestone and a relatively sure fire way for me to tell if I am in that formation. Don’t worry, I always double check the geological maps to verify. ;) 

I think that this is also Acrocyathus proliferus, but I’m not entirely sure. I have had others suggest A. floriformis, but most of these corallites are fairly round and not the polygonal form with its flat sides. These corallites are common at the exposure, but I have never found a whole coral colony. 

DF9BD179-690D-4576-89A8-B31A3B252318.thumb.jpeg.4e0691a041dfe890f6649d2e6edcf975.jpeg

1A51ECC2-D350-4FD9-A440-DE51A58C68A8.thumb.jpeg.c8363383267c7d764cc388d525cffcb6.jpeg

FossilNerd In 1966 I was a surveyor's assistant working a new pipeline passing near Princeton, Kentucky. In digging the trench, rock was encountered and removed by blasting. Here are some of the specimens I collected from the rubble. Some images have paper with a one inch grid.

KY Pipeline Coral 01.jpg

KY Pipeline Coral 02.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Caverat

Sorry I missed your posted pictures. Very nice specimens! I may just have to plan a trip to Princeton. ;)

Thanks for adding them to my thread. :) 

• 3 months later...

I’ve neglected this thread for far too long...

To kick it back off, I present to you my first Conulariid! It was recently found while prospecting new hunting grounds in the Salem Limestone (Formation). A Carboniferous (Mississippian) formation consisting of everything from hard dolomite and limestone, to a thick friable shale layer where this was found. 

I don’t have much to add yet information wise as Conulariida is a poorly understood group of fossils and more research is needed on my part. My desire to share outweighed the need to wait for further study so more information is coming soon! :) 

4AB17244-49EE-40C5-AEF6-3B492ECD7AB6.thumb.jpeg.130c9f3f935ef0d27b9e59e9997fbf28.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

4 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

To kick it back off, I present to you my first Conulariid! It was recently found while prospecting new hunting grounds in the Salem Limestone (Formation).

4AB17244-49EE-40C5-AEF6-3B492ECD7AB6.thumb.jpeg.130c9f3f935ef0d27b9e59e9997fbf28.jpeg

Paraconularia chesterensis is the species reported from the Salem Limestone of Kentucky.  Congrats! :fistbump:

image.thumb.png.3f83bb64566cdfdeacf1e08fbe96dd84.png

figure from:

Babcock, L.E., Feldmann, R.M., Wilson, M.T. 1987

Teratology and Pathology of some Paleozoic Conulariids.

Lethaia, 20(2):93-105  PDF LINK

Babcock, L.E., Feldmann, R.M. 1986

Devonian and Mississippian Conulariids of North America. Part B. Paraconularia, Retculaconularia, New Genus, and Organisms Rejected from Conulariida.

Annals of Carnegie Museum, 55(16):411-479 PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice find, Wayne, I've never found a conulariid. 

I recently did get sent my first one, though, a fascinating group of animals. :)

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 hours ago, piranha said:

Paraconularia chesterensis is the species reported from the Salem Limestone of Kentucky.  Congrats! :fistbump:

Thanks Scott for the ID and the accompanying papers. It is much appreciated! :Smiling:

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice find, Wayne, I've never found a conulariid. 

I recently did get sent my first one, though, a fascinating group of animals. :)

Thanks Adam! I have found a few impressions of them before, but never one like this.

Congrats on your recent acquisition of one. :)  

• Thank You 1

• 2 years later...

I just rediscovered this thread and want to tell you that the only conulariid I've seen in person outside a museum was being used as a yard rock by a couple of old ladies who lived near Barnhart, Missouri up on top of a ridge. They'd been given the specimen by someone who also gave them a Mastodon tooth (quite large) and it was also a yard rock! In the years since, I've kicked myself for not telling them to GET THOSE OUT OF THE WEATHER!

On 10/15/2023 at 4:32 PM, Caverat said:

I just rediscovered this thread and want to tell you that the only conulariid I've seen in person outside a museum was being used as a yard rock by a couple of old ladies who lived near Barnhart, Missouri up on top of a ridge. They'd been given the specimen by someone who also gave them a Mastodon tooth (quite large) and it was also a yard rock! In the years since, I've kicked myself for not telling them to GET THOSE OUT OF THE WEATHER!

Yikes! Not good! :shakehead: