Irish Beach find

Celticaceous

Hello,

I am looking to see if anyone can give their opinion on what this fossil is created from, I come across many fossils in areas i go looking for them but have not come across anything looking like this.

It is approx 230mm in width from left to right in this picture and 200mm in height from top to bottom.

Cant give photos from the back etc as it is on top of a large boulder.

Hope it is something that jumps out for someone.

Eoin.

Irish beach find.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you also for your reply.

Given that you are also from Ireland, and your user name is, 'WestCoast', its likely you have encountered quite a lot of the same fossils i have the pleasure of finding.

One thing i didn't mention about the first fossil.

The grooves are raised, fairly well raised, they create little walls on the surface of the rock.

Is that normal to find instead of it being flat and smooth with only the pattern visible?

First off: Welcome to TFF to the both of you!

Now let us talk fossils!

The first photo is a tabulate coral of some sort, but it is pretty eroded/obscured to make a definitive ID.

The second photo is a rugose coral (also called a solitary coral as mentioned above).

3 minutes ago, Celticaceous said:

One thing i didn't mention about the first fossil.

The grooves are raised, fairly well raised, they create little walls on the surface of the rock.

Is that normal to find instead of it being flat and smooth with only the pattern visible?

It is common to find them either way...it depends on the density of the surrounding rock (matrix) and how long it has been exposed to the elements.

Thank you for the precise identification.

BTW, i am the only one here that is new to the forum from what i can see of the other posters post counts.

40 minutes ago, Celticaceous said:

Thank you for the precise identification.

BTW, i am the only one here that is new to the forum from what i can see of the other posters post counts.

Yep...is what I get for fossiling before I have had a coffee.