Animal or Vegetable?

Billymachi

This is a rock shop purchase.   The owner is an expert in dinosaur gembone from the Morrison.    He also deals in Hermanophyton ferns,  etc so he also knows a bit about paleobotany.   But this piece was a mystery to him.

Its very well agatized and the fine details are preserved.

At first it looks like a limb cast.   The exterior is coarsely wrinkled, like bark.    The cross-section does not preserve a convincing ring of a bark layer, but there is some kind of concentric character.

It has some characteristics of a limb bone.   The geometry and size fit that thought.   But the rough exterior is a contradiction.   The interior has some well developed cell structure,  but its patchy.   

As I write this I am thinking maybe its a petrified root.   Or maybe not.

The first 2 photos are the same (could not delete) and are a cut and polished face.   Last photo is an unpolished cut end.  

Its a fun one.   Enjoy and I look forward to your comments.

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Looks like a piece of "chunkasaurus" to me. The rough edges are likely because its fragmentary. Patchy cell structure likely indicates it is from an edge of the bone and not a central piece.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Palmoxylon 

Good call! I agree with this assessment 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

19 minutes ago, Billymachi said:

So it is a vegetable!   Thanks for your help.

Vegetable and mineral both.. Mineralized veggies. :zzzzscratchchin:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I'd go with the asparagus, with perhaps a pinch of sodium chloride. I'm afraid the palm looks overdone.  :) 

I disagree, I think it's bone. Can someone point to a piece of palm that more closely resembles the internal structure, for my own edification?

dinosaur-bone-polished-section-morrison-formation-jurassic-utah-2011-close-up-with-holes.jpg.6eb5d2471c2de772a74c301cbb321a51.jpg

6427-1.jpg.59d74145dba073971f3e5b19d3a0f098.jpg

IMG_2916.thumb.jpg.4c32ac015bb037f13b5c82b5c5f2baae.jpg.3e7e0bdbb8e8d147e3cda356018f6ac5.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Sorry. I'm sure the book I used as reference (Ancient Forests) must be copyrighted.   

My thought is that the section is from the center,  near the base of the trunk.

1 hour ago, ThePhysicist said:

I disagree, I think it's bone. Can someone point to a piece of palm that more closely resembles the internal structure, for my own edification?

dinosaur-bone-polished-section-morrison-formation-jurassic-utah-2011-close-up-with-holes.jpg.6eb5d2471c2de772a74c301cbb321a51.jpg

6427-1.jpg.59d74145dba073971f3e5b19d3a0f098.jpg

IMG_2916.thumb.jpg.4c32ac015bb037f13b5c82b5c5f2baae.jpg.3e7e0bdbb8e8d147e3cda356018f6ac5.jpg

Agreed.

@Billymachi are more details visible on the cut surface when it is damp?

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I took a wet pic.   The cut end looks the same to me wet or dry.   The polished end expresses the most detail.  

I have seen a fair bit of bone but not with this corrugated exterior.  The geometry is compelling (rod-like).    The internal structure does not translate well from one end to the other like I might expect of limb bone. 

A third possibility.   Perhaps a turd (coprolite)?

rock.jpg

This looks very much like the spongey meshlike structure of cancellous bone and not at all like vascular bundle structure of palm.  The external surface is unusual but the internal structure puts me firmly in the bone camp.

IMG_2917.jpg.d76944986d3cbef2a33e86abca2f55cc.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

It looks unlike any fossil palmwood I have seen on the polished surface or exterior.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

It looks unlike any fossil palmwood I have seen on the polished surface or exterior.

I guess I do have to back off a step. I still think that's a funny lookin' bone though. 

I'm not certain it's not a pithy look at palm. 

Perhaps a fragment of a horn core?  That is the only think I can think of to explain the peculiar surface.  

28 minutes ago, darrow said:

Perhaps a fragment of a horn core?  That is the only think I can think of to explain the peculiar surface.  

Could be. Perhaps @Troodon is around for a look ?

Horn?  No idea never seen one polished.  The inside face does looks like bone but the outside surface to rough and irregular to be one... 

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Maybe a poorly preserved tree fern

I think we may have a winner.

It would explain the outside, be temporally correct to tag, and the C shapes and other slight indications of vascularization are a good fit. I think some did grow a rind like covering on the trunk too. 

On 1/21/2021 at 7:06 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

Maybe a poorly preserved tree fern such as Psaronius.

I'll do you one better:

152004-45.jpg.c2ad004349184d5e38a20c6e57453269.jpg

151999-55.jpg.0e65b035df2f6baccf27d8e259a8f35c.jpg

151999-56.thumb.jpg.fa2f09963abce31f4c5a73da9081de34.jpg

152004-46.thumb.jpg.ee434f2c52e91f789a0490a519463c79.jpg

^ palm root from Indonesia (unident.)

I change my mind.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

On 1/21/2021 at 6:06 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

Maybe a poorly preserved tree fern such as Psaronius.E6EAC3FE-F6C2-417E-9E33-B23264DFDFFC.thumb.jpeg.74bef8ea3bf4d3a8328f3d4c54048022.jpeg

I've been off target lately and have no guesses about the specimen in question...

I need to do a double and triple check but I think Psaronius ended its time in the Permian and the subject specimen is Jurassic?