Keimfrei-tanker

Hello communtity, 

So I recently got a keichousaurus as a gift, and due to the fact that therer are a lot of fake specimen out there i was a bit worried if this one is real or not? How can I tell the difference between a real and a fake one? It is also very heavy for its size. What do I have to look out for? 

Screenshot_20210119_190842.thumb.jpg.607949a260e10937ce35f97c8c9e8a36.jpg Screenshot_20210119_191134.jpg

Screenshot_20210119_190926.jpg

Screenshot_20210119_190935.jpg

Welcome to TFF from - Austria!

Real. But prep is poor and rough. And the head, well, I am speechless... (Edit: Misinterpretation on my side!! Its just the ventral side of the lower jaw, thanks @jpc). It always hurts to see such ruined specimens. These are such lovely fossils, often treated in an unbelievable brutal way. But there are really lovely prepped specimens out there. It is nearly possible to bring this fantastic, so well-preserved fossils back to life.

17 minutes ago, Keimfrei-tanker said:

due to the fact that therer are a lot of fake specimen out there

Is that really the case? Most specimens are simple poorly prepped. And as far as I understand, these Keichs are abundant!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

I agree... looks real, just prepped quickly and roughly.  Bad.  As for the head, that is just the ventral view of the lower jaws.  

• I found this Informative 3

2 minutes ago, jpc said:

As for the head, that is just the ventral view of the lower jaws.  

Thanks!

Big relief!

Franz Bernhard

So I asked my friend what he paid for it, and he said it was.... So I guess thats where the quality goes. It also made me worried if its real when i saw how nice other specimens look online compared to this one. Is it for a professional possible to fix this? 

Edited by JohnJ
Price removed from comment.

10 hours ago, Keimfrei-tanker said:

So I guess thats where the quality goes.

Yes! These are monetary nearly worthless (not scientifically, they are pure gold!) in natural state, all their value comes from prep. Good prep takes some time and here the money goes. Same for that funny spiny and spiky trilobites. Just a few junks of busted rocks in natural state, but prof preppers can to miracles on them (I don´t speak of repair etc, just prep).

10 hours ago, Keimfrei-tanker said:

Is it for a professional possible to fix this? 

Some bone substance is already gone, so not much can be done on this side, I think. There is a possibility to flip the specimen (putting it on an artificial matrix) and prep it from the other side. But this would be also expensive and it would be cheaper to start professionally from the beginning with a new specimen.

However: I never noticed the size range of these specimens, but this seems to be a good sized one? And it seems to be quite well preserved. But lets the profs judge this case ;).

Franz Bernhard