Where's Your Carboniferous Plant Material From?

Plantguy

Chris, I'm going to let you in on a secret. I color my hair gray. Not all the way, just in spots. My friends used to tell me, that's backwards. People normally color their hair to remove the gray! I'd explain it, thusly. You see, back when I had just my natural color, I'd find, I'd never get any respect. I'd talk, and talk, and talk, and talk, and, I could see it in their faces, nobody was paying any attention. Now, however, it's like, they take one look at that gray, and, it's as if I can hear them thinking: "He must know something, he's been around for sooooooo long!"

Sorry, just had to get that one in... :D

kurtdog, I missed this post, sorry. I'm going to blame that on a general lack of sleep again this week.

The adding gray approach may need some further consideration on my part, particularly if I can get it done before what I have left falls out. Thanks for the insight! Regards, Chris

Heres a few more drawers of plant guys..... :)

post-1630-12652756658837_thumb.jpg post-1630-12652756940918_thumb.jpg

post-1630-12652757218118_thumb.jpg post-1630-12652757527396_thumb.jpg

TD, what a super variety of stellar material. The drool here on the keyboard is absolutely disgusting. :blush: Thanks for sharing!

So what percentage of the nodules from that site contained keeper material? Were there many nodules with no fossil material at all?

Thanks also for the prep insight. Yep, Tim has done some nice work thus far with that Crossotheca specimen. Be interesting to see it again after final work. Go Tim!

Regards, Chris

I think I got the ID right :mellow: . its a rather long annularia....not perfect, but floated my boat so it made it to collection status.......

That's a beautiful species. Caught my eye! Thanks for the photo/ID.

Good question from Plantguy regarding clunkers. The Mazon material (Essex biota, S/SW Pit 11) I've been working has less than 5% keepers. Lots of unidentifiable, bits & pieces, or poorly preserved. When the snow melts I'll post a photo of my extensive 'trash can' material collection.

TD: Are you working any new sites over there?

Tim

Tim & Chris......Its difficult to give keepers to unidentifiable junk a percentage and I think 5% keepers does sound quite high for over here in the UK.... You do come across the odd block of shale containing nodules that everything in it is of very good quality, where the preservation conditions must have been just perfect.... when you find these spots it would significantly bang your keeper percentages up....to collect the quality that we seek, requires a lot of effort to get just one more decent nodule for the collection.....New sites?....Ive always got my eyes open.... very often redevelopment of old colliery sites allows a last look for stuff in the spoil heaps etc..... Its a fossil record well worth the effort to save in my opinion....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi my friends

Northern France is still under snow ...., this Saturday I managed to make a field trip, I found two branches of Lepidodendron and fern Paripteris gigantea, this fern is typical it ends is in pinnae pairs (paripinnate). :rolleyes:

Bruno

post-967-12661554479188_thumb.jpg

post-967-12661554784472_thumb.jpg

post-967-12661555010481_thumb.jpg

post-967-12661555238158_thumb.jpg

Hi Bruno...... Nice fossils as usual and glad to hear you can get out hunting.....look forward to seeing some of you wonderful finds.... Thanks for the rundown on the paripteris.... sometimes the ...'obvious' .... often eludes me....lol

Thank Steve

Here are just for the pleasure of the eyes two Patchworks of ferns in my area ..... ;);)

Bruno, nice to see your able to get out inspite of the snow and are still collecting. I havent really been out in awhile---we dont have any snow here in west central Florida so thats not been the excuse-just too busy. It did get down to below 32F again last night which continues to be rather unusual for this area. It is still a little chilly for us but it warms up nicely--50-60's this week. Should actually be above 70F as the avg temp.

Believe it or not we actually have the Florida State Fair going on right now--I think today may be the last day--ferris wheels, livestock showing/judging, pig races, lots of greasy food and the whole gammit of other fair stuff to do--about a 15 minute ride from me! We wont do the state fair festivities this year but instead we'll be going to the "Strawberry Festival" in nearby Plant City! We usually do one or the other each year. Same type of venue but much smaller and hopefully warmer temperatures...It starts March 4th.

On a more serious fossil note, the patchwork photos are super! What genus/species are those in the lower 3 bottom photos in that 2nd patchwork image? Great stuff! Regards, Chris

Bruno..... simply stunning!!..... I like the colours to..... the Alethopteris is my favoroute in the top left corner of the second photo.... The quality of preservation is the best I have EVER seen from anywhere in the world on that one....well done.... ;)

Bruno, nice to see your able to get out inspite of the snow and are still collecting. I havent really been out in awhile---we dont have any snow here in west central Florida so thats not been the excuse-just too busy. It did get down to below 32F again last night which continues to be rather unusual for this area. It is still a little chilly for us but it warms up nicely--50-60's this week. Should actually be above 70F as the avg temp.

Believe it or not we actually have the Florida State Fair going on right now--I think today may be the last day--ferris wheels, livestock showing/judging, pig races, lots of greasy food and the whole gammit of other fair stuff to do--about a 15 minute ride from me! We wont do the state fair festivities this year but instead we'll be going to the "Strawberry Festival" in nearby Plant City! We usually do one or the other each year. Same type of venue but much smaller and hopefully warmer temperatures...It starts March 4th.

On a more serious fossil note, the patchwork photos are super! What genus/species are those in the lower 3 bottom photos in that 2nd patchwork image? Great stuff! Regards, Chris

Hi Chris

from left to right

Lyginopteris hoeninghausi Brongniart.

Crossotheca crepini Zeiller ,fertile foliage.

Discopteris karwinensis Stur ,fertile foliage.

Bruno

post-967-12663371051466_thumb.jpg

post-967-12663372010066_thumb.jpg

Discopteris ....

another discopteris : Discopteris opulenta Danzé.

the position of the sporangia is marked with a yellow dot on the photo....

best regards

Bruno

post-967-12663373206431_thumb.jpg

post-967-12663375744171_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris

from left to right

Lyginopteris hoeninghausi Brongniart.

Crossotheca crepini Zeiller ,fertile foliage.

Discopteris karwinensis Stur ,fertile foliage.

Bruno

Bruno, thanks for the genus/species info. Phenomenal material! Regards, Chris

my lastest finds....

Lepidostrobophyllum lanceolatum Lindley and Hutton in association with a seed ,Trigonocarpus schulzi Goeppert and Berger (in Zeiller plate XCIV )

Sphenophyllum cuneifolium Sternberg ( in Zeiller plate LXIII)

best regards

bruno

post-967-12666879868352_thumb.jpg

post-967-12666880377826_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Lepidostrobophyllum lanceolatum Lindley and Hutton in association with a seed ,Trigonocarpus schulzi Goeppert and Berger (in Zeiller plate XCIV )

Hi Bruno,

Nice specimens! Do you have more association pieces? I have not yet been able to go searching this year myself, but it certainly starts itching when seeing the wonderful finds you have done!

Ciao! Tim

Searching for green in the dark grey.

my lastest finds....

Sphenophyllum cuneifolium Sternberg ( in Zeiller plate LXIII)

best regards

bruno

Bruno, Great specimens! I also like the inset drawing in the upper right corner showing what the fossil represents. Yes, I dont have snow or really bad weather to contend with here but I've not been out recently and seeing these photos does make you want to get out as Tim has mentioned! Maybe in a few weeks! Wishing you all continued successful hunting! Regards, Chris

Hi Bruno,

Nice specimens! Do you have more association pieces? I have not yet been able to go searching this year myself, but it certainly starts itching when seeing the wonderful finds you have done!

Ciao! Tim

Thanks Tim ,Chris and Steve ,Yes I have more association plants .....,fertile foliage pecopteris ,Alethopteris legrandi and Reticulopteris münsteri .....,Neuropteris and Cyclopteris

bruno

post-967-12669617296943_thumb.jpg

post-967-12669617813713_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Thanks Tim ,Chris and Steve ,Yes I have more association plants .....,fertile foliage pecopteris ,Alethopteris legrandi and Reticulopteris münsteri .....,Neuropteris and Cyclopteris

bruno

Lepidodendron and Calamites ......

post-967-12669621131181_thumb.jpg

post-967-12669621390145_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

my lastest finds....

Lepidodendon lycopodioides Sternberg ,its length is about 30 centimeters,Bolsovian (westfalian C ) Liévin France .Here is the original plate in Zeiller .

best regards

bruno

post-967-12678854742261_thumb.jpg

post-967-126788551385_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

my lastest finds....

Lepidodendon lycopodioides Sternberg ,its length is about 30 centimeters,Bolsovian (westfalian C ) Liévin France .Here is the original plate in Zeiller .

best regards

bruno

Bruno, very nice find. What a great large specimen! Is this species a fairly common one from your collecting sites? Regards, Chris

Hi Chris

The lepidododendron is fairly common, but generally I find the bark of the trunk, this specimen is probably a branch with small leaf cushions,Lepidodendron lycopodioides is unusual in my area....

best regards

bruno

post-967-12680304637946_thumb.jpg

post-967-12680304914122_thumb.jpg