Seven stars PA Hamilton group

Nebfossil

Anyone know if this is the head of a trilobite? I know some big ones are found there. Also what is the third pic. Been there many times and never found these two.

362ED870-D334-4675-8820-CA053D631A32.jpeg

And here I was about to summon @Kane and low and behold... he appears before I can. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I agree, nice pieces of Dipleura dekayi:) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very cool find, I’ve been hoping to happen across one of these at one of my usual dig sites (also Hamilton), but no luck yet.

I agree with the diagnosis: Dipleura dekayi. I've seen individuals that were collected at Seven Stars. They are prevalent in a number of Hamilton formations, especially in Central New York and Central PA. The trick is finding a complete one. Those are fairly rare. I do admire partial specimens like yours. Nice job!

Whoever named this likes coelacanths, or who ever named a coelacanth likes this trilobite. the name diplurus newarki looks a lot like dipleura dekayi. Luckily I have Tim's avatar to help me remember which is which. ;)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Whoever named this likes coelacanths, or who ever named a coelacanth likes this trilobite. the name diplurus newarki looks a lot like dipleura dekayi. Luckily I have Tim's avatar to help me remember which is which. ;)

If you think this is bad consider the difference between Dyrosaurus and Dryosaurus...confusing stuff

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

...the name diplurus newarki looks a lot like dipleura dekayi...

Here is the Greek etymology: [diploos = twofold] [pleura = ribs] [ouros = tail]

Dipleura Green 1832

This genus derives its name from two Greek words, which signify double ribs; many of the trilobites are thus characterized; but in no species, is this organization so remarkable as in those which belong to the genus Dipleura.

Green, J.M. 1832
Monograph of the Trilobites of North America: With Coloured Models of the Species.
Philadelphia: Joseph Brano Publishing, 93 pp.

Diplurus Newberry 1878
In Holophagus and Undina and in the Jurassic species of Coelacanthus described by T.C. Winkler, the supplemental caudal fin seems to spring directly from the extremity of the caudal. In Diplurus there is a distinct interval between them; a character which suggested the name Diplurus, or double-tail.

Newberry J.S. 1888
Fossil Fishes and Fossil Plants of the Triassic Rocks of New Jersey and the Connecticut Valley.

United States Geological Survey, Monograph, 14:1-152

• I found this Informative 7

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 2 weeks later...