Longest sauropod?

Top Trilo

I was trying to find the largest sauropod ever and have seen upwards of over 200 feet long, I know most of these giant estimates are based off only a few bones so I guess my question is what is the longest sauropod with a reliable length, and are some of these less reliable estimates still larger than others even at the lower estimate. Thanks guys in advance

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

What I believe you're referring to with the gigantic 200 foot estimates were those of Amphicoelias fragillimus, which was supposedly a huge diplodocid, however I believe that was based off of a single, now lost vertebra and is currently thought to belong to a rebbachisaurid named Maraapunisaurus. This reassignment of the vertebra (at this point only known from photos and drawings) to the Rebbachisauridae results in significantly smaller proportions than originally suggested, although still quite large animal. Off the top of my head, the largest dinosaurs in both mass and length are thought to be Argentinosaurus and Patagotitan with estimates putting them in the 120 foot range. Some estimates for Barosaurus and Supersaurus put their lengths higher.The title for largest seems to shift regularly and differs between experts. Hope this was helpful.

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Hope this was helpful.

It was thanks

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

The biggest sauropod known today is the Argentinosaurus although it is not the longest, the longest sauropod and dinosaur is the Diplodocus but this is also debatable because as you said some of this dinosaurs are only known from a few bones. for example the sauroposeidon which is the tallest sauropod is only known from 4 neck bones.

• I found this Informative 1

I recently heard that the Broome titanosaur could get up to 150 feet!  But at last it’s only known by one giant footprint and nothing more.

This is pretty cool: https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/brachiosaurus-giraffatitan-back-to-life-in-virtual-reality/kAICNrvOfJ0RJw?hl=en Not the longest, but it gives you a good idea of the size.

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

Of course, whenever a few new bones are found, news outlets will take the largest possible estimate and make claims such as “largest dinosaur ever found” or “ dinosaur related to T Rex discovered” trying to get more clicks on their article. You don’t see “New species of Paleozoic Fossil Bivalve that grew up to 3 inches long found!” on headline news for that same reason. 

• I Agree 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

3 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Of course, whenever a few new bones are found, news outlets will take the largest possible estimate and make claims such as “largest dinosaur ever found” or “ dinosaur related to T Rex discovered” trying to get more clicks on their article. You don’t see “New species of Paleozoic Fossil Bivalve that grew up to 3 inches long found!” on headline news for that same reason. 

Oh, I see the obscure stuff! One just needs to set up an RSS and never use Google news for science stuff.

in this case I linked the mass media article as the journal pub is behind two paywalls, and thus not accessible to most.