BellamyBlake

I have here an alleged Carcharodon carcharias tooth from the Pliocene of Surabaya, West Java, Indonesia. It's 1.8 cm in length. I have my suspicions because it looks wide like a Meg. I'd like some further opinions.

Thank you,

Bellamy

carcharodon-carcharias-indonesia-550x550w.jpg

GW in my opinion. Too big of serrations for a meg. 

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

I think its just a different tooth position,

Image result for wide great white tooth

(Not C. carcharias but you get the point)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 hour ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

GW in my opinion. Too big of serrations for a meg. 

41 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I think its just a different tooth position,

Image result for wide great white tooth

(Not C. carcharias but you get the point)

Excellent points, I'll accept the identification. Thank you both :D

Tougher call, but I think it is indeed GW based on the shape of the serrations. They're more pointed/triangular than meg serrations.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

And finally another vote for GW due the absence of a chevron or bourlette.  Another useless diagnostic is the robustness of the root (difficult to judge in the photo) with GW having thinner roots.