Is this trilobite real?... NOT!

Sjfriend

Is this trilobite real? How often have we seen this question? Since folks are often asking I thought I'd toss in this obvious fake that I got in a bulk rock buy years ago. I'm no pro but I couldn't even find any real parts of this thing. I'll point out what I see and others can add their ideas

Here is overall from top

20210211_174538.thumb.jpg.e24bfaee6fbe056a50394c0fc133b657.jpg

Here is closer shot of the front showing a few big problems. 1: the crack running around the side of the trilobite shows where the fake bug is separating from the base. They take a chunk of matrix, carve out a hole then glue on a molded fake. Then glue on powdered rock to cover the glue lines. 2: there are no details on this trilobite. They didn't even try to fake the eyes. The body is painted on.

20210211_174458.thumb.jpg.7db2dbf6d3020184ee3229e584a49b75.jpg

And here you can see the bubble holes from the resin / plaster used to mold the whole thing. And again, no detail what so ever. The fossil is very, very rough. No smooth lines, everything looks chisled in.20210211_174430.thumb.jpg.07066f680949ad48db376f6778fc49f7.jpg

Another thing to look at, when looking at the matrix overall, there is no repaired crack thru the matrix. These trilobites (like most Moroccan trilobites) are found by breaking chunks of rock looking for the black/brown lines of the trilobite shell. Then the rock is marked where the fossil is and glued back together. They then prep down to the trilobite. So, a repaired crack running thru the fossil is very common.

Even though this is a bad fake I'm keeping it to use for showing what to look out for.

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Don’t forget all those resin bubbles.

Mentioned between pictures 2 and 3 lol, but yes, big giveaway 

2 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

Mentioned between pictures 2 and 3 lol, but yes, big giveaway 

How did I miss that? :DOH: Time for me to get some shuteye! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

They somehow managed to not prep a cast properly! And don’t get me started on that spiderweb of fake scribe marks made with a sewing needle...

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

:headscratch:

I know nothing about Trilos, so I would like to ask a few questions:

- Should this "construction" represent a rare genus/species? (considering that "fork" attached to the cephalon?).

- Could it be that the "fork" and small parts of the cephalon are real and all the other Trilo parts constructed, because of the rarity of this type of Trilos?

- Why making such an unbelievable poor "construction", supposing this is a rare and high $$$ Trilo type???

Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

6 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

- Should this "construction" represent a rare genus/species? (considering that "fork" attached to the cephalon?).

- Could it be that the "fork" and small parts of the cephalon are real and all the other Trilo parts constructed, because of the rarity of this type of Trilos?

- Why making such an unbelievable poor "construction", supposing this is a rare and high $$$ Trilo type???

Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

I believe that this is supposed to represent some species of Walliserops

Being of the spiny variety, whole and decently prepped ones are harder to come by, and typically demand a high price.

They are not only sought after for their unique look, but some species show a departure from bilateral symmetry with a noticeable curl of their occipital spine to one side. Making them more desirable. 

I’m not sure that anything is real on this one at all, but you might be right that sometimes only the trident is found (or various other bits) and then the rest of the specimen constructed around it.

Since these typically command a high price I think very poor reconstructions like these are made in the hopes that they will fool someone into buying them, or be priced right to convince someone to impulse buy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walliserops

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thank you!
Franz Bernhard

This one is attempting (and failing) to be a partially prepared Walliserops hammii (the species with the shorter trident). Although it is customary that some trilobites are "built" on a few authentic parts, I am not seeing any of those here as opposed to an outright fabrication. As to why this is done (and occasionally so poorly)? -- To capitalize on a segment of the market that can be convinced about trilobite value while not having very much knowledge or familiarity about them. 

• I Agree 1

1 minute ago, FossilNerd said:

I believe that this is supposed to represent some species of Walliserops

Beat me by seconds! :D 

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Beat me by seconds! :D 

I knew that extra cup of coffee was worth it this morning! Ha! :coffee:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Real walliserops when prepped decently are absolutely stunning.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Yeah, not a pro but I can't find anything that appears to be real on this one. Just glad I didn't pay for this one!

12 hours ago, BellamyBlake said:

One might even say that the bubbles are...resin some red flags :o

:DOH::default_faint:Yes, there are many resins to not buy this one

• Enjoyed 3

We find them both not guilty by resin of insanity. That’s what paleontology does to you.

• Enjoyed 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

We find them both not guilty by resin of insanity. That’s what paleontology does to you.

Dang! And I so wanted to be guilty :Jumping:

• Enjoyed 1