Northern Maine find - coral?

MainefossilRocks

I have two fossil rocks like this one, around the same size.  I find these in the Telos Lake to Frost Pond range in Northern Maine, around the Chesuncook Dome.  Brachiopods everywhere, but this one is odd.  Coral or something?  It has a little depth to it, and graduates deeper towards the center.

1D42ACBF-C861-4139-8506-050CEA3699DA.jpeg

5FAA7351-6A69-4F0A-A608-8BB1997C9BF5.jpeg

C05C0114-F499-4B47-941A-66ACA5FE3EEF.jpeg

D7DC650D-6BE6-41FD-B1E1-8E86AB991DC3.jpeg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

It has something of a favositid coral to it. But I am not totally sure. @Rockwood?

29 minutes ago, MainefossilRocks said:

It has a little depth to it, and graduates deeper towards the center.

This could be due to weathering/erosion. 

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

I think it is the impression of a small favositid coral colony.  The original colony was dome-shaped, and so the impression appears as a depression, with the "tubes" being the interior of the individual corallites.

Don

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

I bet there wasn't a superstore in sight. It's a good idea to have a second spare tire and plenty of gas with you up that far.

I agree that it is a fine, if inverted, example of a favositid coral head. It is primarily a weathered mold at this point. Most likely it was exposed to erosion by glaciers thousands of years ago.

• I Agree 2

I agree with Rockwood.

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

It reminds me of tabulate corals like Pleurodictyum, characterized by polygonal corallites.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

18 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It reminds me of tabulate corals like Pleurodictyum, characterized by polygonal corallites.

Pleurodictyum was my first impression as well. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm not convinced the resolution needed to make the distinction between regular and irregular polygons is available.