Shellseeker

Just sharing the joy.  My friend Steve found this Sloth Canine yesterday.  Close to maximum size, bluish tint, beautiful. Enjoy.

1783884527_MegalonyxjeffersoniiCaniniformText.thumb.jpg.49fd2e51d68127443222cd2b92533f7e.jpg

A photo from the internet with tooth in jaw.

1135330206_MegalonyxjeffersoniiCaniniform.jpg.a80aecd6e0fd8f81e1f8253632e00196.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow gorgeous find Jack, can’t wait to get out for some hunting with you again:yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

12 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

Wow gorgeous find Jack, can’t wait to get out for some hunting with you again:yay-smiley-1:

Thru the grapevine, I hear you have a whole new set of responsibilities that keep you busy. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.  We are coming out of it and the fossils await. . :thumbsu:  I talked to Mike's better half last night because I hit the wrong button on my speed_dial (which I manage to do more and more lately).  Told me that the man was out with his buds staring down at a little hole in the ice. He does not let any grass grow under his feet.  How you doing with those crab pots?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, Joe_17 said:

Such a nice tooth ! I envy finding stuff like that . Hopefully one day i can have more sloth material.

35 minutes ago, dbrake40 said:

Wow! Nice find.

I have gone out hunting 2-4 times a week, moving toward 2 as I get older. Our Hobby is a unpredictable.  I have had stretches where I am finding sloth teeth, claws and bones almost every time I go out like in the 2013-2014 season.  Then , I'll go for 2 years and find a single sloth tooth. Sometimes I would find fantastic fossils for 2-3 months straight, and then just normal stuff (lots of little shark teeth, ray teeth, broken bones, are usually available).

My success in a large part depends on persistence.... go out frequently!!! It is fortunate that I enjoy the great outdoors sifting gravel in the river, every when it is not all that productive.  It keeps me there until I get lucky.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

23 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thru the grapevine, I hear you have a whole new set of responsibilities that keep you busy. But there is light at the end of the tunnel.  We are coming out of it and the fossils await. . :thumbsu:  I talked to Mike's better half last night because I hit the wrong button on my speed_dial (which I manage to do more and more lately).  Told me that the man was out with his buds staring down at a little hole in the ice. He does not let any grass grow under his feet.  How you doing with those crab pots?

Very busy moving into a new house and remodeling at the same time, hopefully will settle down in a few weeks and I can get out for some hunting. Had to pull my pots in a while ago when I got so busy but looking forward to getting them back out soon too:fingerscrossed:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!