What is the story of this Meg?

Jwarringtonh

I found this in a particularly deep construction site in southwest Florida a few years back (video below). At first, I thought it was a rock, and it took some time to convince myself it was in fact a tooth. It’s so strange and worn down, and has plagued my imagination ever since. 

I'm not well versed in the eras, but from the look of it, it seems like it could have been fossilized twice: released into and worn away by the sea once, before yet again being put back into sediment on land. 

But I’m a clueless amateur, so I’m wondering if the story of this tooth is clear to any of you out there?  I’ve also included a photo of another tooth I found at the site: but considering it had been dug by machines, there’s no telling if they were in the same layer. (furthermore, from that same site, I will be posting to the “ID thread,” what may be some sort of reptile skull, but may very well be a brown/orange rock 😅).

IMG_0982.jpeg

It is a meg but once it is fossilized, it is fossilized... saying it was fossilized twice doesn't make sense.  Can they be redeposited during different time periods?  Yes.  

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Could it have been a “digested” tooth’?

• I found this Informative 2

@Fin Lover

I understand my error. I meant fossilized, unearthed into the sea, then buried again, in the torment of this world’s changing climate over the millenia. The thing is just so ugly, and worn, and halfway indistinguishable from an actual tooth. And thus, it’s beautiful. If they have been dropping teeth for the past 3-17 million years, this one just feels like one of the first in that inconceivably long history. No?

Posted (edited)

I have perfect teeth. Bigger than this 4.25” hunk of junk. Yet, this one still draws me more than the others. It feels like the great grandmother of my collection 🙇 

And, again, if anyone has any insights on its passage through time, please: I would love to hear it. Seems like it was eaten by worms long before, or even after, it was fossilized. 

Edited by Jwarringtonh

Just for those who didn't watch the the movie. Here's the tooth being discussed, not the pic of the little other one.

Screenshot(61).thumb.png.1e0132291fd93b8815cb526e55222df1.png

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1