Fossilized Lightning??

Lone Hunter

Took my dogs out to Grapevine lake, frequently go there,  kicked this up in a sandy area close to swimming beach.  Quite puzzled, there are no such concretions in Woodbine here and pretty sure no fossil involved.  I've only seen oysters, Turritella and dinosaur footprints.  So this appears to be crystalized in the center, with spirals of different color granules and crystals wrapping around very fine grained structure in the shape of a bottle.  It's got to be something, but what?  Looking forward to an answer!IMG_20210315_214831239.thumb.jpg.8d50d157c1279e3d717d5dc83fdbab07.jpgMy only decent Woodbine find.

IMG_20210315_050600750.jpg

IMG_20210311_224839807.jpg

IMG_20210311_235952553.jpg

IMG_20210312_000152696.jpg

IMG_20210315_044607063.jpg

IMG_20210311_235445631.jpg

IMG_20210311_224820052.jpg

775AF530-3F08-43AC-AA9C-B38B15AF1F68.jpeg

Nice Turritella fossils.

Sorry I can’t help with the mystery fossil.

I remember seeing lots of impressions and molds of wood in the iron-rich sandstones especially on the north shore near the foot prints. Have you seen the wood?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yes and I've got some pieces somewhere, that and the black coal, or is that wood also? I love the colors of sandstone there.

7 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Yes and I've got some pieces somewhere, that and the black coal, or is that wood also? I love the colors of sandstone there.

It could be coalified wood. Most wood from the Cretaceous in north Texas is coalified. I even found a few coalified pieces that also were partially pyritized.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks for clearing that up, thought coal was more of a mixture of things. First time I heard of coalified wood,  so learned something which is why I come here!

5 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Looking forward to an answer!y only decent Woodbine find.

IMG_20210315_050600750.jpg

IMG_20210311_224839807.jpg

IMG_20210311_235952553.jpg

IMG_20210312_000152696.jpg

IMG_20210315_044607063.jpg

IMG_20210311_235445631.jpg

IMG_20210311_224820052.jpg

Crinoid calyx?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

As far as I know no crinoids or shrimp there, not familiar with a hematite tube but don't see any hematite in it.

Ooh I just ran across a picture of 'fossilized lightning', checked it out since I never heard of such a thing...could it be that's what this is?

• Lone Hunter changed the title to Fossilized Lightning??

I don't think that is a fulgarite (fossilized lightning). It may very well be a burrow of some sort. Or a really ancient bottle prototype (dino's had to have SOME fun, right?) :D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Or at least the cavemen did, then this was the first shot bottle haha. Wish my camera could get better close-ups, it actually looks like melted sand.  I was only comparing it to all the pictures and descriptions and it seemef to fit, that and the spiral patterns of crystals is something I haven't seen on any rock or burrow.  Since I did find it in sand it made sense in my mind.  Oh well, I'll put in my miniature bottle collection!

Funny, I have another burrow, I think, which I started thinking was also fossil lighting.  Thought I'd throw it in for more expert opinion.

IMG_20210317_002106972.jpg

Not seeing any fulgurites here. They can vary quite a bit in form, but I'm not seeing any features that convince me. No vesicles, dendritic forms, not hollow, not seeing melted sand grains, etc. Your best chance at finding them is in the desert or on the beach. 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Well it was a swimming beach at Lake Grapevine, probably not the same as real beach.  Nevertheless thank you for your time and knowledge.  I'm happy with cool burrows!

4 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Ooh I just ran across a picture of 'fossilized lightning', checked it out since I never heard of such a thing...could it be that's what this is?

Doesn't look like vulgarities I've seen.  They are usually composed of vitrified sand, sans any crystals

George Santayana

No offense, but vulgarities I have seen are composed of something else. fulgurites on the other hand... ;)

Does not look like a fulgurite to me. Sponge?

Cheers, J

• Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Can't find any examples of vulgarites, what's the difference between that and a fulgurite?  The last pic does look like some sponges I've seen now that you mention it. Thanks to all for the input!

35 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Can't find any examples of vulgarites, what's the difference between that and a fulgurite? 

An overlooked, humorous spell check substitution.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

16 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Doesn't look like vulgarities I've seen.

@Lone Hunter No inside joke.  The previous reply above included a substitution of "fulgurites" with "vulgarities"...likely the overlooked, automatic substitution by spell check.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Gotcha, wasn't sure because vulgarite is a very different subject!  Now it all makes sense.

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

@Lone Hunter No inside joke.  The previous reply above included a substitution of "fulgurites" with "vulgarities"...likely the overlooked, automatic substitution by spell check.  ;)

Oops, yup.  

I was tempted to continue the unintended joke by adding a photo of a vulgarite, but remembered that TFF is family-friendly    :ighappy:

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

George Santayana