PSA Field Trip

erose

The club went to the Brownwood Spillway and Wilson Clay Pit Saturday.  Weather was spectacular!  I decided to skip the spillway and head straight to the old clay pit.  Had the place virtually to myself for the first two hours. I headed for a spot that has always panned out with good crinoid material and some nice teeth.  I had joked around with the other members that I needed to go there and find the complete crinoid calyx and arms I saw in a dream.  Well I found it. But you know how things are always bigger in dreams...

IMG_6596.JPG

IMG_6597.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 9

That is still a very nice find for that location.  :fistbump:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice find, Erich!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

But, I thought everything is bigger in Texas!

Seriously, nice find. Small can be beautiful.  :wub:

Don

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

But, I thought everything is bigger in Texas!

Seriously, nice find. Small can be beautiful.  :wub:

Don

Everything is bigger in Texas. The mm on the ruler are actually the size of cm everywhere else. So in Florida, the crinoid calyx would be about 13 cm.

4BE7817B-310B-492B-935F-A245F9EEA1C0.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

What can you tell/show us about the Spillway area? Apparently collecting is allowed once again??  Dave 

21 minutes ago, Castle Rock said:

What can you tell/show us about the Spillway area? Apparently collecting is allowed once again??  Dave 

Well Dave i didn’t actually go there this time. The reports from folks who did were mixed. They had to park in a new spot, walk a little further and then a few hours into it the sheriff cleared them out because they were doing a controlled burn near by. But yeah you can sign a waiver and get access

1 hour ago, erose said:

Well Dave i didn’t actually go there this time. The reports from folks who did were mixed. They had to park in a new spot, walk a little further and then a few hours into it the sheriff cleared them out because they were doing a controlled burn near by. But yeah you can sign a waiver and get access

CLEARLY you made the better choice!! Dave

Congrats. I would have been very happy to find that when I was there over two years ago.  Thanks for posting it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another interesting specimen from that day. Archaeocidarid lantern components. Two articulated hemipyramids with a tooth sticking out. 

B4CA4E6C-86D1-49AB-A096-CB664DA6126F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4