Mystery item, North Sulfur River

KingsburyFossilHunter

Hello!

We went on a long drive to the North Sulfur River last week, spring break! It did involve a very cold overnight stay in a tent, in a field very close to some cows.

Such a different site, and learning how to look was half the fun. It seems as if all home schooled children are visiting the site too, at the well known parking lot and access near Ladonia. 

We came away with some devil's toenails, two ammonite steinkern? pieces showing sutures and a rather large piece of rudist (more than 1 foot across, with some crystals, which promptly split in two on the way back up the bank, some of it is definitely just made of shale/mud.

However, I also found this item, which I do not understand. Concretion? Crab? Piece of roadside debris? Do let me know if you can make any sense of it, or have seen something like it before.

Cheers!

_MG_4690.jpg

_MG_4695.jpg

_MG_4696.jpg

_MG_4694.jpg

_MG_4693.jpg

_MG_4692.jpg

Could it be a coprolite ??

The grey outer material appears to be just the inner white material caused by weathering.

It looks like a phosphatic nodule with burrows. That along with the red suggests that it is from the condensed zone of the Ozan Formation.

• I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks so much, @DPS Ammonite and @Tetradium.

My question is, could there be something hiding under that phosphate that is worth uncovering? Or is what you see what you get with this type of nodule?