Heteremorph ammonite lower Cretaceous Bulgaria

Dimitris

Hello everyone! 

Been long time I haven't done anything fossil wise due to weather and work obligations. 

Yet this weekend I went to NW Bulgaria checking a lower Cretaceous spot. As per the map its Berriasian to Hauterivian. 

I started cleaning slowly and found out its a spiky type. 

Any direction towards species, so that I know approximately its shape and don't mess up cleaning? 

It's small in size, the visible part being 1 1/2".

IMG_20210401_190555.jpg

Ok, found some clues since a friend sent me a local paper.

Must belong in the crioceratites family. My friend told me there is a possibility to be undescribed species, therefore I will only clean around and wont touch it until I have sandblasting system.

Les fossiles de Bulgarie IV Cretace Inferieur (1969) N. Dimitrova

• I found this Informative 1

Are you using an air scribe? If so, you could first slowly and carefully clear the matrix away following the edge of the outer whorl now that you know what kind of anatomy to expect. Watch out for the spines, though.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

20 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Are you using an air scribe? If so, you could first slowly and carefully clear the matrix away following the edge of the outer whorl now that you know what kind of anatomy to expect. Watch out for the spines, though.

Thank you Roger! Yes air scribe the entry level of haufwerk, W224.

I tested on parts of the matrix with no interest and fractures unpredictably. I will test with lower pressure and will keep a distance from the fossil. The spine does not exceed 3mm, so I will plan according to that.

1 hour ago, Dimitris said:

Thank you Roger! Yes air scribe the entry level of haufwerk, W224.

I tested on parts of the matrix with no interest and fractures unpredictably. I will test with lower pressure and will keep a distance from the fossil. The spine does not exceed 3mm, so I will plan according to that.

Good luck!

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/