Ammonite ID help

distant_smile

• New Members

Hi all. Both ammonites found in Bristol, UK, BS31, as we're the shells and coral. Not much else to say but would be nice to get a bit more info from the pros?

20240414_214629.jpg

20240414_214800.jpg

20240414_214828.jpg

20240415_161127.jpg

20240415_161144.jpg

20240415_161212.jpg

20240415_161230.jpg

20240415_161321.jpg

Since the ammonite bits are only partials, it would be necessary to know the precise stratigraphy, since many different ammonite species have similar structures. However if the finds were made in the Early Jurassic (Lias), then I could hazard the guess that the first one could be part of the outer whorls of an Arietites. It could also help in identifying the coral, and although I'm no expert on that subject, I do know that these are more difficult to id and often a very close examination of the internal structure is necessary, sometimes even by sectioning. The bivalve is poorly preserved and difficult for me to determine, although maybe someone more familiar with this area has an idea?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• New Members

Thank-you Ludwigia your comments are very much appreciated. I hoped the size of the large ammonite may narrow it down as in the past I've only found small ones...but I think I also knew it was a long shot due to the degredation

• I found this Informative 1

Hi, I'm quite familiar with the fossils that are commonly found on the Somerset coast, which I believe to be the same formation (blue lias), and therefore of similar age, as the Jurassic rocks that underly parts of Bristol and the surrounding areas.

The first ammonite that you have could only be either a Coroniceras (also known as Arietites) or a Paracoroniceras because of its size, however it's difficult to narrow it down past that because of how little there is of it. I've attached a picture of a complete, but poorly preserved, Coroniceras that I found recently. It was about 25 cm across, but I have found several specimens that are much larger (several over 40 cm, a few over 50 cm, one much, much larger than that) and much better preserved than this one.

Unfortunately the second ammonite is too poorly preserved to give a definitive ID, but due to its size I would hazard a guess that it might be a piece of one of the two types of large ammonite that I mentioned before.

The coral looks like it is from the genus Isastrea, though the specific species I cannot say. As for the bivalves, it is difficult to say what they are exactly as these are once again not very well preserved; they appear to be some sort of clam from what I can see, possibly small examples of Plagiostoma, which is a large bivalve quite common in the blue lias, though it is difficult to know for sure.

I hope this has cleared some things up for you.

PXL_20240113_101026138.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• New Members

Thanks! My own, albeit amateur, research lead me to coroniceras and paracoroniceras due to the size so its great to hear you say that. And thanks for the educated guesses on the others...at least I now know what general area they may be in and it gives me a bit more knowledge for identifying in the future. Much appreciated.

On 4/15/2024 at 11:42 AM, distant_smile said:

as we're the shells and coral.

I'm pretty sure you are not.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• New Members

Sorry Mark I dont quite understand the comment?  

• New Members
Posted (edited)

Lol sorry just re-read it. Yes Mark we are not the shells *were. Nice catch

Edited by distant_smile