Is this is a fish head?

Marcdrye

Hi. I've found one similar to this find.

Found it in a an order of large Scottish cobbles I had delivered. The back of the head there's holes as if from where it's head attached to the body.

Decieving rock? Either way it's pretty cool. I have it on my bathroom window ledge next to my alligator head.

People think it's a real skull fossil of some kind. I tell them it's prehistoric dinosaur skull. 

IMG_20210429_134953.jpg  IMG_20210429_135046.jpg  IMG_20210429_135043.jpg

IMG_20210429_135031.jpg  IMG_20210429_135014.jpg  IMG_20210429_135009.jpg  IMG_20210429_135001.jpg

Not a skull just a skull shaped rock. The anatomy is not correct, no symmetry and no bone texture. 

Edited by Top Trilo
  • I Agree 4

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Split out into it's own topic.  ;) 

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Sorry, but not a skull.

There is no bilateral symmetry, no skull morphology, and no bone texture. 

This is an interesting rock, not a fossil. 

• I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cheers for the reply. Still a cool rock. I'll still tell everyone it's a prehistoric skull from a winged devil bird lol 

1 hour ago, Marcdrye said:

The back of the head there's holes as if from where it's head attached to the body.

There in lies the fossil (perhaps). The holes look like pholad bivalve borings. They needn't be old enough to be considered fossils however. That would need to be established.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

There in lies the fossil (perhaps). The holes look like pholad bivalve borings. They needn't be old enough to be considered fossils however. That would need to be established.

This is Interesting. I think it would make sense too as it came in mixed with two tonnes of large Scottish beach cobbles.