Preparation ideas please

Jimmy From Holland

Dear everyone,

I would like to hear your ideas on preparing a fish fossil from Turso, Scotland (Devonian). I am unsure of the best approach. The fossil was embedded between two layers of hard rock. The impression on one side is not entirely clear; the other side is not entirely complete (90% is there). Additionally, fish fillet has fallen out, and I have many loose pieces such as the fins, which are very thin and have matrix (grains) attached.

I have been contemplating soaking the small loose pieces in acid (5%) and then rejoining them. For the larger pieces, I plan to reattach them and clean them using an air scribe and sandblaster (2.5 mohs).

Another idea is to place the pieces in their original positions and create a replica on the opposite side using epoxy or cement, although this doesn't seem aesthetically pleasing to me.

The tools at my disposal include:
- Magnifying glass
- Air scribe
- Engraving pen Dremel
- Dremel
- Sandblaster
- Sulfuric acid 100%
- Cleaning vinegar

I appreciate your input and suggestions.

Kind regards,

IMG_7113.jpeg

IMG_7108.jpeg

IMG_7109.jpeg

IMG_7111.jpeg

hav you tried contacting either of the van der Brugghens

(maybe Gambit?)

edit: given what we don't know about early vertebrate ecology and evolution, ANY paleozoic fish fossil is potentially significant

Edited by doushantuo

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

hav you tried contacting either of the van der Brugghens

(maybe Gambit?)

edit: given what we don't know about early vertebrate ecology and evolution, ANY paleozoic fish fossil is potentially significant

I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you referring to people here on the forum, or should I contact them outside of this platform? In my understanding, it doesn't seem to be a particularly unique discovery; it was found to the left of Turso Beach, where much is already known about the species that existed in that area. 

I'll tag @Ptychodus04 who has prepared oceans of fish. He'll be able to help you strategize the path forward. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Tnx

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'll tag @Ptychodus04 who has prepared oceans of fish. He'll be able to help you strategize the path forward. 

I would brush off any loose bits of sediment and piece it back together on its slab before doing any prep. I probably would not got the acid prep rout on a fragmentary specimen as this can cause other problems.dry fit each piece and glue it back together using cyanoacrylate. It’s not reversible generally so, make sure you don’t glue yourself into a corner.

I would then prep with air scribe and micro abrasive, preferably under a microscope 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I would brush off any loose bits of sediment and piece it back together on its slab before doing any prep. I probably would not got the acid prep rout on a fragmentary specimen as this can cause other problems.dry fit each piece and glue it back together using cyanoacrylate. It’s not reversible generally so, make sure you don’t glue yourself into a corner.

I would then prep with air scribe and micro abrasive, preferably under a microscope 

let’s do it this way Tnx i while show the results when ready