Early Eocene Omomyid jaw from the Nanjemoy Formation of Virginia donated to the Smithsonian Institution

Fantastic, Marco! :) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice presentation.

Coco

• Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Beautiful pictures and tremendous find - congratulations!!!

Best of luck in your search of an omomyid jaw piece with a premolar :d_good_luck:

• Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

I received 5 reprints, that Dr. Rose sent to me, yesterday of the paper.  Reprints are not xeroxed copies, but nice printed copies by the paper publisher on glossy paper.

599955227_paperreprints.thumb.jpg.ec433014c0d9f2b6de229834be55dd32.jpg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

I received 5 reprints, that Dr. Rose sent to me, yesterday of the paper.  Reprints are not xeroxed copies, but nice printed copies by the paper publisher on glossy paper.

Thanks for all you do. You have enhanced the reputation of amateur Paleontologists and fossil enthusiasts everywhere.  I just downloaded the pdf.  I really like your original photos and discussion in this TFF thread.

Jack

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• 1 month later...

Really nice. Like that you got the 3D prints. I'll have to keep that option in mind if I every find something like this. And I love the prints you made. Those look really nice.

• Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

Really nice. Like that you got the 3D prints. I'll have to keep that option in mind if I every find something like this. And I love the prints you made. Those look really nice.

Now that the scientific community can 3D print fossil specimens, it is a lot easier to make copies of rare fossils.  The old method of making casts, and casting copies of rare fossils, was very time-consuming and required special skill sets in addition to potentially damaging the fossils in the process.  I think as time goes on, more and more 3D prints of rare fossils will be made.  3D printing also allows making copies of very fragile or very small fossils like this primate jaw.

Having these prints on my wall that I can see every day, is a great reminder of the rare fossils that I have found and donated, and gives me incentive to look through more micro matrix for additional rare specimens.

Marco Sr. 

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Having these prints on my wall that I can see every day, is a great reminder of the rare fossils that I have found and donated, and gives me incentive to look through more micro matrix for additional rare specimens.

Marco Sr. 

I'll have to use this for the wasp I donated since there is not really another method that would work.

Edited by Sjfriend
  • Enjoyed 1