Juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex tooth from Hell Creek?

TeethCollector

I saw a Juvenile Tyrannosaurus rex tooth (or Nanotyrannus) with really good price..

Seller told that this is from Hell Creek formation, Garfield County, Montana.

I can't find any oddity or fabrication... but I want to hear everyone's opinion since the price is too good to be true.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

s-l1604.jpg

To me, it certainly looks like a tyrannosaur tooth. I would lean more towards T. rex based on the cross section being more oval than rectangular. However, it's not a full tooth with the base so cross section may not be entirely reliable. Wait until other members with more experience can give their opinions on it.  

You may want to check out this post by Troodon as well:

• I Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Paleostoric said:

To me, it certainly looks like a tyrannosaur tooth. I would lean more towards T. rex based on the cross section being more oval than rectangular. However, it's not a full tooth with the base so cross section may not be entirely reliable. Wait until other members with more experience can give their opinions on it.  

You may want to check out this post by Troodon as well:

Thank you for the reply, Paleostoric!

I personally believe that the Nanotyrannus and Tyrannosaurus are the same genera, so whether it is Nano or T-rex, it does not matter to me. 

What I was wondering about is if the tooth is genuine and has no restoration or repair. 

And, thank you for the link as well! That helps me a lot. 

You really need to have a complete tooth for a positive identification.  The morphology of the base, which is missing  is necessary to distinguish between taxons.   Without the base characteristic nothing jumps out that says Trex looks more like Nanotyrannus 

I would call it an indeterminate tyrannosaurid. Also don't see any issues with it.

Edit:

Difficult to decide if it's a juvenile without a positive ID.    Price is a function of species and condition.

• I found this Informative 2

23 hours ago, Troodon said:

You really need to have a complete tooth for a positive identification.  The morphology of the base, which is missing  is necessary to distinguish between taxons.   Without the base characteristic nothing jumps out that says Trex looks more like Nanotyrannus 

I would call it an indeterminate tyrannosaurid. Also don't see any issues with it.

Edit:

Difficult to decide if it's a juvenile without a positive ID.    Price is a function of species and condition.

Thank you, Troodon. I decided to pass this deal… I would buy better one with more money and more reliable dealer!