Coronocephalus ID

lavawing

Hi, new here

I recently acquired this trilobite fossil, which I can identify as Coronocephalus, but I'm not sure about the species. 
It's not immediately apparent from the first picture, but this is only the negative. The trilobite itself is around 4 centimetres long. I suspect it is a molt.

A friend got it for me as a souvenir on his trip to Yunnan, China. I'd be tempted to say C. gaoluoensis based on how frequently they occur, but the glabella makes me suspect C. rex.

Edit: upper end of glabella tuberculate so probably not gaoluoensis
pygidium does not taper therefore cannot be rex

stab in the dark: changningensis?

PXL_20210527_092216659.thumb.jpg.8a75ea7ffb5ea12064d998833666a3d9.jpgPXL_20210527_092242280.thumb.jpg.b47ea8bd9683915358ca84bcdc44b714.jpg

Edited by lavawing
  • Enjoyed 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Proof it can be hard to see what it actually looks like through a photo. I would have never guessed the first image is a negative. Can't help with ID but I'm sure the guys Tim listed can.

Edited by Top Trilo
  • I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

My certainty is about 60% here, but I would go with C. gaoluoensis on account of tubercle size on the glabella would be considerably larger on C. rex.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

21 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I would have never guessed the first image is a negative.

Indeed! Even rotating it does not make it a negative, at least not for me.

Franz Bernhard

23 hours ago, Kane said:

My certainty is about 60% here, but I would go with C. gaoluoensis on account of tubercle size on the glabella would be considerably larger on C. rex.

Thanks, I'm inclined to agree, also because there is a gap here between the glabella and the edges of the cephalon, i.e. the glabellar furrow, which would be absent or at least much narrower had it been C. rex or changningensis.