TeslaHarmonix

I was wondering who I would contact, aside from the property owner, if I had found a site that has something special. I would just like someone to look at a spot. I have never seen anything like it before. The area has never been cut or dug in any way as far as I can tell. There are slabs on the ground that have crinoid stalks in straight lines for 18-20 inches. There are stalks sticking out of the hillside. And not just a few. It is over 300 feet of creek bank with about a 2 foot layer of crinoid rich siltstone. I walked down the creek and in about 10 minutes I had filled all my pockets with stems.
I am just curious what is at this site and would love to get someone to professionally take a look at the place. Who would I contact?

192240809_1448810625485173_2870573905986711719_n.jpg

193996608_513289633153502_6456683635706670776_n.jpg

194652333_859935177934772_8318829589132035649_n.jpg

Hi TeslaHarmonix,  I bet you get more than one Sugar Creek fossil hunter's interest up.

This is not on Sugar creek.. or even Indian creek. But I’m really hoping someone from the area is interested :) 

I doubt anyone has ever walked up this stream looking for fossils. I was checking out a hunch and almost immediately discovered this area. I have walked a lot of streams and creeks in my life looking for places just like this and this place is even more than I expected.

I do not know what it takes to stimulate a true Paleontologist's interest in a site like this, but if it is "just" crinoid stems found at your creek, I doubt if much interest exists, especially in the Crawfordsville area. Just was put in quotations because from my perspective (amateur collector) your site looks special!!!!!! Good luck and hopefully you will find some complete specimens on the banks to increase interest in a study. 

Mike

Youre not likely to get any professional interest.  Mulitple universities and museum paleos were brought in to the tooth-draw quarry, and every one turned up their noses at it despite large volumes of theropod teeth from many species and many bones.  They didnt want to waste their time with disarticulated items in a fluvial deposit.  If its not whole dinos or unknown species, they dont get excited.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I think that's unfair. Professional interest depends on the professional who is approached. If you approach only big names, you're approaching people who already have their plates full with flashy specimens and who are therefore less likely to be interested. Getting a professional involved in a site really takes some work to make those contacts and find the right person.

• I Agree 1