Just a little pebble

Lone Hunter

Yes, thank you, that was my initial thought,  all the ones I have and have seen are in mm, how large is that one?  Can they hatch with that many whorls?  Nevermind last question, apparently they hatch uncoiled, and with age they coil and reach adulthood.  So this would have to be an adult gastropod at 1 cm. ?  

Edited by Lone Hunter

Can anyone show us a cross section of a coiled gastropod coiled around a hollow space like the fossil in question appears to have? All the cross sections of gastropods posted in this tread have solid center sections.

98424DDB-53E1-4112-8C58-9AC6EB22709D.png

3560C070-973F-47A6-8905-93394B4FEF48.png

If this is a gastropod, can anyone say what the light colored (yellow) part is and what is the adjacent dark grey shell/wall (red arrows pointing to) like structure is?

025A6399-B5D5-4685-A9C0-C659E5CB7F58.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

These are my personal reference samples.

IMG_20210705_204805779_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210705_205114512_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210705_205535456_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210705_210257962_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210705_212928792_HDR.jpg

Edited by Lone Hunter

5 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

I would expect the whorls at tip would be much smaller, and there be some kind of evidence of sutures. Putting that aside, can anyone please just show me a picture of a gastropod with at least 11 whorls that is only 1 cm long? Then I'll shut up :)

Apical angle is incredibly varied among Gastropoda. You can find some with tips that are more like clubs that barely tapered at all. You might be confused about the sutures as they are visible in your specimen. This Turritella is about 1 cm.

IMG_8561.thumb.JPG.8ef7f170e844cec3b2b73760dcc943cd.JPG

There are similar sized ones pictured online. Don't make the mistake of comparing whorl count among different species. Adult whorl counts vary considerably by species and 11 whorls on a 1 cm specimen is not unusual. Random examples of high spired Carboniferous gastropods from this report (http://www.paleoliste.de/bandel/bandel_2002.pdf) as examples:

"NIGHT (1931, Pl.2, figs.4,5) described Streptacis scalpta KNIGHT, 1931 and Streptacis crenimarginis KNIGHT, 1931 from the Pennsylvanian of Missouri which both represent high spired conical shells consisting of about 12 whorls and reaching a height of 12 mm." "54Mapesella meeki (KNIGHT, 1931) (figs. 6 - 8)Description: According to KNIGHT (1931, Pl.2, Fig.2a,b) the high spired shell with 12 whorls is about 4,5 mm high."

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Can anyone show us a cross section of a coiled gastropod coiled around a hollow space like the fossil in question appears to have? All the cross sections of gastropods posted in this tread have solid center sections.

If this is a gastropod, can anyone say what the light colored (yellow) part is and what is the adjacent dark grey shell/wall (red arrows pointing to) like structure is?

025A6399-B5D5-4685-A9C0-C659E5CB7F58.jpeg

I'm not convinced it is hollow. I suspect it could be a thick columella. Although this is supposition the outer portion of the columella might be prone to different preservation. The extensions of the columella that form the whorls usually appear different colored at any rate.

I have a similar specimen for comparison. I apologize for the quality, the specimen is about 4mm and is photographed through a hand lens. It can be difficult to see but note the adjacent dark outline of the columella.

IMG_8557.thumb.JPG.0bea571a71c6466bd4dc0e87259775f1.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Is ammonite or baculite off the table? An incomplete cross section might expose only a portion of the septa. 

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I'm not convinced it is hollow. I suspect it could be a thick columella. Although this is supposition the outer portion of the columella might be prone to different preservation. The extensions of the columella that form the whorls usually appear different colored at any rate.

I think I see what you are talking about. The light colored columella surrounded by darker shell. Good job. I still don’t know how the columella from the OP could be preserved that way.

BC9A251B-E0BA-4200-AD8A-A4A28BE5C6E3.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Christine.Rowland said:

Is ammonite or baculite off the table? An incomplete cross section might expose only a portion of the septa.

Orthocerid cephalopods existed in the Pennsylvanian and Permian deposits. Maybe it could be one. 

https://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2013/11/03/woosters-fossils-of-the-week-very-common-orthocerid-nautiloids-from-the-siluro-devonian-of-morocco/

3E1DEA11-0F5D-4FB8-A62E-89B4ABD9443B.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I still stand gastropod for a few reasons,

1. The difference between gastropod cross section and orthocerid cephalopod, which did cross my mind, is that the outer shell of the latter is straight or almost. While the OP's specimen is "bumpy" indicating a spiral

image.png.e4e19afcb275a9d9678acf73d5ecdbb7.pngimage.png.fc33f7387c5990aa20d6b74e26520b2d.png

2. The whorls aren't perpendicular to the center line also indicating a spiral while in cephalopods the cross section is symmetrical since it doesn't spiral.

3. The OP's columella's edges are not flat like you would expect with a siphuncle. It kind of tapers off to the sides like you would expect in a coiled gastropod shell.

• I Agree 3

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

with what you just exposed Top Trilo. I think it is enough to assume that it is a gastropod.

It's pretty clear........what else do you want? :zen:

On 7/3/2021 at 7:10 PM, JohnJ said:

I think this one is as simple as the associated gastropods indicate...it's a gastropod cross section.  The possible local source formations have a variety snails.  This one is beautifully eroded.

An image search for "gastropod cross section" turned up these modern analogs.

Capture+_2021-07-03-18-29-31~2.png

Again, as evidenced by the ensuing explanations of gastropod characteristics and how they present when eroded at different angles, this is the identification with the least number of assumptions.  

In other words, why reach for less likely explanations when the evidence fits a more obvious one?

Picture the environment this piece represents.  A shell hash that contains old, eroded shells and newer shells.  The gastropod in question seems to have open whorls toward the bottom...suggesting it had already been 'decayed' and broken.  This could also explain the differences in the columella preservation.  

As an example, in the Texas Eocene fauna found at "Whiskey Bridge", the shells are often very fragile.  I have seen the more compacted, finer grained matrix within the whorls still retain their shape, while the powdery white shell washes away.  That presents a scenario where the apex of the gastropod may still be in hard matrix, but the columella and lower whorls flake away into oblivion.  When buried again, the preservation will vary from a pristine specimen being preserved.

• I Agree 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Ok, I guess we'll agree to disagree. Appreciate everyone's time.

5 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Ok, I guess we'll agree to disagree. Appreciate everyone's time.

Until you are convinced by the evidence, I wouldn't accept an explanation based on who said it.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It isn't based on anything said, it's on what I see and makes sense. 

If you find bigger pieces of the same rock, show them. It is hard to ID poorly preserved fossils in a small 1 inch rock. We are not even sure what age the rock is yet. 

Sometimes you need many pieces of the same fossil to give a good ID, especially when they are fragmentary. We all enjoyed waiving our hands trying to help.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I Agree 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:11 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

Can anyone show us a cross section of a coiled gastropod coiled around a hollow space like the fossil in question appears to have? All the cross sections of gastropods posted in this tread have solid center.

Yes, I can't find a picture either with a quick search. But gastropods that exhibit an umbilicus have a hollow columella. 

For instance this one would have a hollow columella through its length.

See the source image

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Here is a freshwater snail with a hollow columella: Holospira.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holospira

EEA9A91D-775A-4652-9D93-686FA6B130FD.png

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • Enjoyed 1

From what I understand they are terrestrial and live in high desert places, other than that it's a great match. :)

46 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

From what I understand they are terrestrial and live in high desert places, other than that it's a great match. :)

It was a proof of concept that a gastropod could have a hollow columella. 

Theoretically someone could have dumped a rock with a freshwater snail in it for you to find.

This is one of the first (and probably still one of the best) papers on spiral accretionary biomineralization:

(in other words, deducting the effects of diagenesis  and/or tectonic deformation(if any) will offer the possibiliy of arriving at biometrical

proof of molluscan affinity

raupjop2.jpg

Edited by doushantuo

25 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It was a proof of concept that a gastropod could have a hollow columella. 

Theoretically someone could have dumped a rock with a freshwater snail in it for you to find.

I suppose I am spoiled by seeing all the excellent examples given to OP's for comparison when trying to ID something. It's not that I disbelieve, it would just be easier to believe if I saw another one.

Edited by Lone Hunter

editorial note: in 2021 a paper will be published *on helicospiral gastropod morphogenesis(the first view article is presently paywalled)

edit* :in PALEOBIOLOGY

PLUS:

afbeelding_2021-07-07_080017.png

Edited by doushantuo

This is what I see in the line of balls, they are too small to capture the image but this solitary ball is the same thing. All the little balls have the same hole on top facing same direction. Just doesn't look like gastropod or even shell.

IMG_20210707_011951859_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210707_011638137_HDR.jpg

Edited by Lone Hunter