Member of the Month - July 2021 Pachy-Pleuro-Whatnot-odon

Kane

Now marks the halfway point of the calendar year, and the sparks are certainly flying as hammers strike stones across many now summery parts of the world, generating many finds (if the number of FOTM entries this past month is any indication of increased activity). 

So if the first half of the year has been kind to our collectors, here's to hopefully an even better half to come. For now, the recipient of our MotM Crown will be: 

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:  Pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon  :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Although joining us scarcely over a year ago, PPWO (if I may "acronymize" the screen name here :P) has distinguished himself with kind and quality responses that have been information-rich reading for our membership. With the aid of parents who supported his early passions, we know his journey began earlier in life, and that it has only snowballed with respect to his own children. 

Congratulations!

Thank you for your contributions to our forum!

Care to share a few words with us about your journey to fossils and the Forum?

• Enjoyed 4
  • Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• Kane changed the title to Member of the Month - July 2021 Pachy-Pleuro-Whatnot-odon

Congratulations, Alexander!  Your informative posts are always enjoyed and appreciated.

:fistbump:

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Congrats!

:yay-smiley-1:

(Fireworks, how appropriate.) ;)

If you would, please favor us with some backstory on what led to your passion for fossils and how you came to find TFF.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

Congrats, Alexander! You are never stingy with your extensive knowledge, even though your posts are easy to read with a funny anecdote thrown in here and there! Thank you!

• Thank You 1

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

Congratulations, I wasn't surprised it was you but I was surprised you haven't already gotten MOTM. Congratulations, we even share the same name only I shorten it to Alex. Your posts are always informative and you truly deserve this. 

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Congratulations! I highly enjoy your helpful and informative posts. Thanks for your participation in this forum! :)

• Thank You 1

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

Congratulations, richly deserved! :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Congratulations Alexander! Well deserved. Your posts are always informative and thought-provoking (and nicely formatted to include images within the text).  :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

Oh wow! Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It's such an honour to be made Member of the Month! :D And irrespective of my own contributions, I've learned so much more from all of you here on TFF! TFF is such a vibrant community, with such great and friendly members, such an excellent place to share your knowledge... So thanks to you all for making it the place it is - the place I enjoy spending my time, sharing my knowledge and learning new things :default_clap2:

10 hours ago, digit said:

If you would, please favor us with some backstory on what led to your passion for fossils and how you came to find TFF.

Growing up in a family of, and surrounded by, diplomats and antiquarians with a father who had, himself, wanted to become an archaeologist, I was exposed to ethnography, archaeology and antiques from an early age. However, it was only when I discovered dinosaurs that my interest in palaeontology really set off. Helped along by a class mate who had a great collection of Omani fossils; family members in the UK who gifted me fossils whenever we came by on our yearly trips; visits to dinosaur exhibits wherever we encountered them (my father wasn't one to lie on the beach the whole day during summer holidays, so we'd often leave my mother and sister behind to visit archaeological sites and palaeontological museums the two of us); and, later, participation in excursions organised by a Dutch geological society, my interest in and collection of fossils rapidly grew. There are plenty of stories and anecdotes from this time, which will undoubtedly come to light sooner or later - including one in which I ended up, at age 11, recounting the then current theories on the extinction of the dinosaurs to my fellow tour members while on a guide walk through an old marl mine in the southern Netherlands, and one in which I ended up preferring to be gifted a ceramic reproduction of a Pterodactylus over the authentic skull of a Psittacosaurus for my birthday (this was all still in the time before Jurassic Park, so I guess fossils must've still been a lot more affordable back then) ;)

The Netherlands, however, is not a great country to pursue a career in palaeontology in. Thus, following many cautionary advices from friends and family alike, I gradually lost track of palaeontology in favour of IT. This put me on an entirely different path, though, which ended up with me studying archaeology. All the same, as there's not too much need for Latin American archaeologists in the Netherlands either, having completed my studies I returned to IT as a computer programmer. Seeing as it's very tricky to do anything archaeological without being associated with an academic institution, however, I quickly rediscovered my old love for palaeontology. Moreover, I soon found out that what interests me most within palaeontology are marine reptiles, quite possibly triggered by early trips to Lyme Regis in my childhood (I still hope to find my own ichthyosaur skull one day); the fact that as a Dutchman I can't help but love mosasaurs and nothosaurs (which occur in the only two Mesozoic deposits that are accessible in the country); and that most of the Jurassic sediments in Europe, including around where I currently live, are marine. The final stage was finding my way onto here, a step I finally took after a friend recommended it to me. And, so, here I am! :cool07:

Since I joined TFF, I've found it a great place to satisfy my inherent need for academic discourse and analysis - which just keeps bringing me back :P

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • Enjoyed 13
  • Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Splendid backstory!

Similar points to many "origin stories" we've read about here but with some interesting and unique twists in the journey that brought you to fossils and finding TFF.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

Congratulations, a very well earned title! :) 

• Thank You 1

Interested in all things paleontology, geology, zoology, evolution, natural history and science!
Professional exotic pet keeper, huge fantasy geek, explorer of the microfossil realm, member of the BVP (Belgian Association for Paleontology), Volunteer prepper at Oertijdmuseum Boxtel.  

View my collection topic here:

The Growing Collection of Ziggycardon
My animal collection at the "Members pet" topic

Ziggycardon's exploration of the microfossil realm

Trips to Eben Emael (Maastrichtian of Belgium)

My latest fossil hunt

Next project will be a dedicated prepping space.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

5d68d9f3c550a_153657011360380104(21).jpg.bda3d3b7ae7b8321dd0620a0c61cc459.jpg5d68da1b497f5_153657011360380104(20).jpg.8610ffc65ccaa5d057e7b52b65989cd0.jpg5d68da353dd03_153657011360380104(24).jpg.ae73afaefa6ab34e7af5f6131aed96ff.jpgsolnhofen.jpg.76dd03ba7eb39946850662021b7d8dd4.jpg166802558255587143.jpg.c38d91e9e45f17addf29c40166b797a2.jpg5d68da49ad887_153657011360380104(25).jpg.dfff987039b3c99f41e44da51f71ae91.jpg

Hi,

Congrats Alexandre !

Coco

Edited by Coco
  • Thank You 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg