Calamari Anyone?!? LoL! Can someone help with this please??

Rocks n Relics

My guess would be worn, quite possibly modern, scleractinian coral.

image.png

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Please add location it was found on ID requests. Doesn't have to be specific, just general location. This is an international forum and you'll find some great help, but we need some basic info, first! 

• I Agree 1

The coral looks very much like a Hexagonaria, a colonial rugose coral which occurs in the Devonian Martin Formation at several sites in Arizona.

Don

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

I agree this looks to be a coral of some sort. For future reference, please include relevant information in the body of your post, the tags are useful for finding topics, but are not always read by those responding. Including both a general location and formation/age greatly increases the chances of a solid ID :)

I'm sorry everyone, I did add several paragraphs of information and now I notice the entire description is gone. 

Weird and probably a tech thing...I apologize for that...so here we ago again lol!... hopefully? LoL

Location (city/state) found: Globe, Arizona in Gila County.

Location that I physically found it... literally on my property! We inherited my husband's family home his Grandparents built in mid 1950's. 

The home was the first in it's area at the time and it's built on edge/corner of the mountain it's on. 

Some information on the mountain our home is built on...When the ground was striped in the 1950's a huge beds of Gila Conglomerate was exposed. It's LOADED with Marine invertebrate fossils. 

I personally am just finding out about this awesomness, my husband grew up here and I'm from Texas. 

My husband said tomorrow we will walk down into the bottom of the canyon below and he can shows me more fossils contained in the host rock. He said it's loaded with so many fossils it will blow my mind. 

My husband and I both no nothing about fossils...we love rock hounding and I know the surprise of finding a fossil...little did I they were under my feet. LoL

Thank you everyone for the information. 

2 hours ago, Huntonia said:

I agree this looks to be a coral of some sort. For future reference, please include relevant information in the body of your post, the tags are useful for finding topics, but are not always read by those responding. Including both a general location and formation/age greatly increases the chances of a solid ID :)

Thank you for this information and I will Google it and go from there.

As for location and such...I did add several paragraphs, but it must have been a tech error or something... So I added it to the comments. Thank you again for your help. 

3 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

Please add location it was found on ID requests. Doesn't have to be specific, just general location. This is an international forum and you'll find some great help, but we need some basic info, first! 

Oh my gosh!!! I actually added several paragraphs when I posted earlier, so glad you commented on it because we were in the middle of a monsoon and flash floods when I made the post and I'm going to assume it was a tech or weather effecting the Verizon tower. 

Who knows why it happened, but thank goodness you let me know. 

I just added the information again below in the comments. I hope this helps and I apologize, Im not one of those lazy people that want answers, but to lazy to give pertinent information to help with the request. 

Thank you again and have a safe and awesome holiday! 

3 hours ago, Kane said:

My guess would be worn, quite possibly modern, scleractinian coral.

image.png

How cool! Thank you for this information! I'm sorry my discription I added didn't seem to make it on my post.. I re added it below in comments..but basically found on hillside of our home/land in Arizona. 

I'm excited to take the information you gave me to dive deeper into all the others down there!! 

Thank you again and happy 4th!

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

The coral looks very much like a Hexagonaria, a colonial rugose coral which occurs in the Devonian Martin Formation at several sites in Arizona.

Don

WOW! I cant thank you enough Don! I had added all my location information and such when I listed, but when I listed a monsoon with flash floods hit and it must have had a glitch or something. 

...I had NO CLUE that the land our house is built on is loaded with fossils...were in Globe, Arizona... I'm excited to explore the bottom of the canyon asap! My husband says it's nothing but fossils and now all of Grandpa's stories about the days in the 1950's when he broke ground to build the house...I guess the ground is so full of fossils and limestone...making it hard to break down...so he built the house on the top of the mountain more "non fossil" And it looks down onto the canyon... Who knew it was right under my feet! 

@DPS Ammonite has a lot of expertise on that area and it's fossils.  I will say that the Martin Formation occurs in that area, but there is also Mississippian aged rocks that could produce corals.

Don

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

@DPS Ammonite has a lot of expertise on that area and it's fossils.  I will say that the Martin Formation occurs in that area, but there is also Mississippian aged rocks that could produce corals.

Don

Thank you again for your wealth of information! It's cool that I found this coral, but even cooler to know what is under our feet in our own back yard! 

Thank you again and happy 4th of July!!!

13 hours ago, Huntonia said:

I apologize for the lack of information, that was a technical error. I added it again below in comments and thank you for your infor.

Have a awesome 4th of July

Hexagoneria is from Martin. Possibly Lithostrotion / Lithostrotionella which has been reclassified as Acrocyathus if from Redwall/Escabrosa Formation.

0AE542CF-1175-4114-AB8C-38AAE738AABA.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Here is the geological map for the Globe Quadrangle. Are

you in the Globe Hills area that has lots of limestone? Do you own the mineral rights? If so, large masses of silver have been found in the limestone.

What formations does the map say are on your property?

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Prodesc/proddesc_877.htm

Edited by DPS Ammonite

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

reminds me of the variety of heliastrea coral. (Miocene).

but since the sure outcrop is not Miocene, it is only a resemblance.

Edited by Paleorunner

13 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

you in the Globe Hills area that has lots of limestone? Do you own the mineral rights? If so, large masses of silver have been found in the limestone.

We own the property and mineral rights. It's inherited home and property. I will private message you if you would like location or other information. My husband said there are SOOOOO many fossils of shells and other sea life down at bottom...I never go down there because of the snakes and javalina...it's a zoo of animals!

9 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

reminds me of the variety of heliastrea coral. (Miocene).

but since the sure outcrop is not Miocene, it is only a resemblance.

Thank you for this information! I can't spell or pronounce all of these words...this is a huge learning venture for me and reminds me of why I love rocks. Thank you again 

13 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Oh and yes to answer your question, yes...our home and property are at lower part of Globe hills. McMillen wash run down to about 40-50 feet from our home. 

Please show us some more of your fossils.

Take a look at my Arizona Paleontology Guide. Lots of good references and pictures of fossils.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/86597-arizona-paleontology-guide/

Did the map show that you have outcrops of limestone on your property?