Kemmerer WY trip 2021

jnicholes

Hi everyone,

My third trip to Kemmerer, Wyoming is in one week. I’m going to be digging in the Green River information.

Last trip, I came home with a whole Mioplosus labracoides. This time, we have two friends from Japan digging with us.

My goal for this trip is to find ANY decent fossil to show my Japanese friends who are digging with us. I don’t care what we find, as long as we all have fun.

The only problem is, their suitcases are full. They can’t bring fossils back to Japan with them because they don’t have room in their suitcases. As a result, I will add them to my collection if need be and label them as the discoverer.

I will keep you all posted.

Jared

I can understand the added weight in suitcases but couldnt they ship home any great finds?  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I shipped most of my Green River finds to my home in New York and all but one arrived unbroken. 

Blimey! 

I'd throw away all my clothes and take the fossils home. 

Priorities, chaps! :)

• Enjoyed 3
  • I Agree 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Ok, I am done with the dig! I found quite a few fossils. 2 plates that have 3 fish in each, a HUGE Phareodus which sadly shattered during removal from the rock, and to top it all off, an unusual find of petrified wood!

There is more that I found also, one of the Japanese friends found a small Phareodus and a well preserved Diplomystus dentatus, the other Japanese friend found a well preserved Knightia.

I will post pictures when I have a chance.

Jared

8 minutes ago, jpc said:

Tell the Japanese folks to get rid of some clothes and take the fishes home!

Actually, you bring to mind an interesting question. Is it legal to transfer fossils from one country to another? I honestly don’t know.

Just now, jnicholes said:

Actually, you bring to mind an interesting question. Is it legal to transfer fossils from one country to another? I honestly don’t know.

As long the fossils were collected or purchased legally, and there is no ban to ownership in the home country, then there would be no problem.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

1 minute ago, hadrosauridae said:

As long the fossils were collected or purchased legally, and there is no ban to ownership in the home country, then there would be no problem.

Thanks. I’ll look into getting the fossils to their  home. Don’t know what Japan’s standards are regarding this, so I’ll look into it.

Bad internet connection at the hotel. This is the only picture I could get uploaded.

I guess it’s a sneak peek for tomorrow!

Its a big Diplomystus dentatus with two smaller ones!

6DE1006B-5241-4BCB-A5B9-460B94703291.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Finally home. Pictures of the best fossils.

The picture with 3 fossils are the ones the Japanese friends found.

38F2BA28-7EE7-42F1-9165-A0360A65830F.jpeg

6D02857B-1878-4A1C-BF98-C77DE521A6E6.jpeg

0F801DCE-7C84-41D7-A459-4E35EFA19259.jpeg

75CDEA17-0EC7-443F-A183-FBC73B500147.jpeg

C42B16AE-6801-441A-85A1-0D0D383497AE.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

'AKA'??

Nice finds, and I agree with ditching the clothes to take the fossils home. Where there's a will there's a way!

Is that a fish scale in the 2nd-to-last shot? Interesting pattern on it.

AKA is the abbreviation of one of the Japanese friends names.

Yes, I’m pretty sure that is a fish scale on the second to last shot.

(S)he didn't think to put the initials on the back?  :shakehead:

Edited by Wrangellian
  • I found this Informative 1

I suspect the fish scale is that of a gar. Gar scales are relatively common in the "split fish" layers of the GRF.

I  especially like the small Phareodus. I would have carried it onto the plane in my hands if need be.

1 hour ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I suspect the fish scale is that of a gar. Gar scales are relatively common in the "split fish" layers of the GRF.

I  especially like the small Phareodus. I would have carried it onto the plane in my hands if need be.

No, its not from a Gar.  Those are very distinctly, thick, black and usually diamond shaped.