Jared C

Hey y'all, I'd like any ID's on genus or even species, if possible.

Below - Ammonite partial, Comanche peak formation,  from a creek in round rock (which is just north of austin)

IMG-0735.thumb.jpg.2817321dae31f6b7f304d72ba342c314.jpg

Below, a Coral, from the same creek in round rock, but on a different formation. According to the map, it could either be Buda formation or Eagle Ford

IMG-0733.thumb.jpg.4c101135c77ea03e0348776791ab66af.jpg

IMG-0732.thumb.jpg.8ebc1633cbb8e88d06dcdbff96c6d68f.jpg

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

fewer than 40 people saw this before it got buried, so I'm shamelessly commenting to get it back to the top. Especially hoping on an ID for the ammo

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

@Jared C

:D  Unread content isn't handled like social media sites.  It does not disappear as the result of a mysterious algorithm.

That said, look into Oxytropidoceras species ammonites.  The coral looks similar to pieces I've found in the Buda formation.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The coral is probably unidentifiable without thin sections, an exact formation and an expert to ID it. (@HansTheLosergave me similar advice for an Arcadia Park Formation coral from Sherman, TX.) See this reference from Journal of Paleontology that everyone can see if they get a free account with JSTOR.

Wells, J. (1932). Corals of the Trinity Group of the Comanchean of Central Texas. <i>Journal of Paleontology,</i> <i>6</i>(3), 225-256. Retrieved August 8, 2021, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/1298104

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 8/7/2021 at 10:48 PM, JohnJ said:

The coral looks similar to pieces I've found in the Buda formation.

All corals look alike in this uncleaned and unpolished state ...

As mentioned above, for a proper ID at least a small portion needs a polished surface.

Wells (1932) is completely outdated ... to be honest it was it when it appeared. Wells worked more on younger material and his few trips into the Cretaceous were not this successful...