Fossil Mammal Bone ID-10 Random Bones/Teeth

James Savage

Hello everyone

I've got a collection of some random mammal (probably) bone/teeth IDs that I'm stumped on.

The brown ones are from a southeast US river and the black ones are from dredge spoils from a different southeast US river.  Both produce beat up isolated cetacean bones, ice age mammal bones and shark teeth.  I find bones and teeth from the Miocene to modern.

I always enjoy seeing what others find and try to guess what they are.  Any guesses would be appreciated.  Trying to get better at ID'ing fossils found out on trips and am curious how close I am.

Attached are group photos of 10 bones that I'm guessing on (starting at the top going left to right)

#1 Baleen whale jaw fragment? (Brown and thick)

#2 Broken half of a mammal or alligator jaw fragment? (Grey/Black and thin with apparent different size/shape teeth sockets)

#3 Fragment of giant sloth claw? (Black and thick with a curve)

#4 ? (Brown and thick with a curve) 

#5 Horse Incisor? (Black and thin)

#6 Fragment of Cetacean skull? (Brown and thick-originally thought was part of a mammoth tooth until I got a good look at it)

#7 ? (Brown and thick)

#8 Tiny Mastodon tooth fragment? (Brown and thick)

#9 Fragment of Cetacean skull? (Black and thick)

10# Deer antler stump? (Black and thick)

Thanks a bunch.  If anything looks interesting enough for more photos, let me know.  There are overall photos and then closer-up photos of the bones in groups of 2-3 by row.

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3144.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG