Interesting Florissant Fossil

Earendil

Hello,

Another Unidentified Florissant Object, some sort of attachment on a monocot/reed/stick. Maybe the attachment is an insect egg, or a larva, or just a seed of some kind. You can definitely see they are connected. Maybe you guys can help figure this one out:shrug:, if it's unidentifiable I totally understand. @piranha @Top Trilo @Rockwood @Tetradium @LabRatKing, y'all have helped me in previous topics.IMG_6804.thumb.jpg.dbeb10bbeff9c40fe452dd86d5541315.jpgIMG_6805.thumb.jpg.b56fc60eb2ee0dab570ed8d901a74bf9.jpgIMG_6808.thumb.jpg.997b63c00433db61c411f8ba8e05406f.jpgIMG_6811.thumb.jpg.cc9f0fd1fac1e67ad7aa75434e82e073.jpg

Thanks!

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

The "stick" might also be a pine needle. Herb Meyer's book The Fossils of Florissant lists several members of the pine family that have been documented from Florissant. This is a picture of my own find from Florissant:

IMG_7634.thumb.JPG.861239856dcc29a48d290f4ae2d0cae8.JPG

I'm not seeing any features that suggest insect larva nor would I assume it is attached to it since these are 2 dimensional compressions of what were 3 dimensional objects.  

14 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

The "stick" might also be a pine needle. Herb Meyer's book The Fossils of Florissant lists several members of the pine family that have been documented from Florissant. This is a picture of my own find from Florissant:

I'm not seeing any features that suggest insect larva nor would I assume it is attached to it since these are 2 dimensional compressions of what were 3 dimensional objects.  

Good point, It just seemed an awful coincidence that this circle thing fell right next to the pine needle so it's literally touching it instead of on or near it.

Edited by yardrockpaleo

34 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Not much here to work with. I’d agree to a conifer needle and “ovoid dark spot”

Oh well, it was worth a shot. And I learned something!:BigSmile: Thanks everybody! And @Crusty_Crab, if you don't mind, would you take a look at the latest fossil in the thread I linked below? So far the consensus is trace fossil...

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with the others, nothing else I can add.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 9/1/2021 at 12:08 PM, yardrockpaleo said:

Oh well, it was worth a shot. And I learned something!:BigSmile: Thanks everybody! And @Crusty_Crab, if you don't mind, would you take a look at the latest fossil in the thread I linked below? So far the consensus is trace fossil...

I agree that there's little in the way of diagnostic features and I would defer to Dr. Meyer's assessment since he has by far more qualifications and experience than I do. 

On 9/1/2021 at 12:17 PM, Crusty_Crab said:

Your are not pine needle. Its a leaf from a dicot shrub. Pine needles don't have center veins and isn't flat.  After all Colorado back then were more like California but still drier climate so having narrower leaves reduces the sun glares and loss of moistures. 

On 9/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, yardrockpaleo said:

Hello,

Another Unidentified Florissant Object, some sort of attachment on a monocot/reed/stick. Maybe the attachment is an insect egg, or a larva, or just a seed of some kind. You can definitely see they are connected. Maybe you guys can help figure this one out:shrug:, if it's unidentifiable I totally understand. @piranha @Top Trilo @Rockwood @Tetradium @LabRatKing, y'all have helped me in previous topics.IMG_6804.thumb.jpg.dbeb10bbeff9c40fe452dd86d5541315.jpgIMG_6805.thumb.jpg.b56fc60eb2ee0dab570ed8d901a74bf9.jpgIMG_6808.thumb.jpg.997b63c00433db61c411f8ba8e05406f.jpgIMG_6811.thumb.jpg.cc9f0fd1fac1e67ad7aa75434e82e073.jpg

Thanks!

I'm going with a petiole. After all it can trap smaller stuff so they end up right next to them. And that small round look like a fruit. Look at its coarse appearance (lots of repeated oval like appearances) which omits buds. More like catkin to me. There's even what appear to be a few bristles but I'm not 100% sure.  I'm too busy right now to look it up. 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:08 PM, yardrockpaleo said:

I took a quick look at book. Nothing about catkins so far. Not that surprised as they are fragile and usually need to be attached to identifed branch to id. After all you have to think of different plant parts in different stages of decomposition. Like with the other guy leaf, there so many other similar ones like single ones from yews or pinnate compound ones from honey locust that detach from petioles when they die.  

On 9/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, yardrockpaleo said:

Hello,

Thanks!

One more thing: can you look up Fagopsis fruits or beech family fruits. I can't remember but there's some similar small understory tree that have woody rounded fruits with many seeds in it. Birch is too long and fragile - its fruit is made of many papery seeds on one thin long woody stalk and pine fruits are too obvious or flowers rot easily.