Pennsylvanian (Llewellyn Formation, 308-300 MYA) plant fossils from coal mine tailings near Mt. Carmel, PA.

fossilcrazee

This was, essentially, a quick scouting trip based on threads on the Forum.  Don't know much about these fossils but wanted to confirm the location and density of Pennsylvanian (Llewellyn Formation, 308-300 MYA) plant fossils from coal mine tailings near Mt. Carmel, PA.  (NOT St. Claire, which is closed to collectors). There were abundant specimens, many bearing evidence of pyrite replacement: orange stems and plant hash.  There was also some evidence of pyrite replacement by pyrophyllite to yield silver-colored films.  Against the black matrix, the silver-film plant fossils are beautiful and, in my view, warrant prolonged and determined searching on a return visit.   Once upon a time I had a lovely plate from the St. Clair site .... but it is no longer in my possession.  Perhaps, with enough effort, and a bit of luck I can find a suitable specimen to replace it - may not be the pretty ferns but a good specimen to illustrate the fossilization process would be most welcome.  :look:.  Special thanks to @idiot for location advice.  :Smiling:

Mt Carmel PA site - Copy.jpg

Mt Carmel PA finds - Copy.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Hah - that's my 'secret' spot too (I guess not that secret anymore!). Congrats, there are nice specimens to be found there!

And yes. You can find a suitable replacement there with enough effort. Here in one of mine from earlier this year..

1398252275_20210310_1542162.jpg

20210310_131126.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 8

11 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Would love to see those specimens a little closer up. 

I agree; show us those beautiful plants! :fern:

On 9/3/2021 at 2:13 PM, Jeffrey P said:

Would love to see those specimens a little closer up. 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:40 AM, kehaz said:

I agree; show us those beautiful plants! :fern:

okey dokey!  I'll get on it with some better (individual) photos.  @frankh8147 I hope I didn't give away your secret spot and thank you so much for the encouragement ... I am willing to devote some time and effort for such a beautiful specimen as you have found and shared!

As requested closer-up photos B is a fern, D is a Lepidodenndron.  I find K and L intriguing and welcome thoughts.  I think S is geology rather than biology.  The stone is sandier ... perhaps a capstone.  Thank you all for your interest.

498323469_MtCarmelA.jpg

2098555012_MtCarmelBfern.jpg

Mt Carmel C .jpg

Mt Carmel D Lepidodendron .jpg

Mt Carmel E.jpg

Mt Carmel F .jpg

Mt Carmael G.jpg

Mt Carmel H.jpg

Mt Carmel I .jpg

Mt Carmel J .jpg

Mt Carmel K .jpg

Mt Carmel L .jpg