Help with Potential Fossil in Minnesota?

Natali

Hi everyone! I found this on the ground near the Root River in Minnesota which is an offshoot of the Mississippi river. Near Cushon Peak. I'd love to know if its a fossil and if so what kind. Thanks!

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

It is a fossil. It appears to be a water worn Rugosa horn coral from the Paleozoic.

• I Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

It is a fossil. It appears to be a water worn Rugosa horn coral from the Paleozoic.

Thanks!!

Great find! Cusion Peak lies in an area that has Cambrian bedrock. Rugosa coral did not appear until the Ordovician Period. So your specimen took a ride down the Root River, probably not in a kayak or tube, ending up in Houston. The first Ordovician rock emmerges west of Lanesboro in the area of Harmony and Preston. That is where it's "Home" was. By the way, there are trilobites in the Cambrian rock along the Root River close to Houston.

Mike

Edited by minnbuckeye

As others have said, it’s definitely a fossil. The cool thing is that it is so old that it was a fossil when dinosaurs roamed the earth. And now you can hold it in your hand. Fun find! 

15 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's part of a rather eroded solitary rugose horn coral, 

image.jpeg.adfc50b64164185d12486f7cd83883d5.jpeg

I agree. It screams years/decades of being exposed on the surface to me. Most likely the drought we have been having here in Minnesota this year exposed it sitting on the riverbed for that long.