Minneapolis to Dallas any Recommendations

dbrake40

Traveling from Minnesota to Texas next week Take I35-W down and roughly following the Mississippi back up. Any recommendations for fossil or paleo related Museums to visit or fossil hunting trips/locales along this loop?  I am mostly interested in vertebrate fossil hunting but would really be up for any good suggestions.

Edited by dbrake40
Changed title.

• dbrake40 changed the title to Minneapolis to Dallas any Recommendations

Lost Creek Resevoir spillway in Jacksboro, TX; Post Oak Creek in Sherman, TX. Heard Museum in McKinney; Mineral Wells fossil park; Perot Museum in Dallas; multiple localities near Lake Texoma.

Don’t forget to eat some Texas barbecued brisket while you are there. 

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Sorrry but others have better answers. My suggestion is don’t do a round trip stay in Texas!!!!   :thumbsu: it’s to cold to actually live in Minnesota :SunFace:

DPS Ammonite has listed a lot of good Texas sites. Of course, there's always the North Sulphur River too. Might as well hunt there before it is gone. Rockford Fossil and Prairie Park is a short detour from I-35 and is worth a stop.

On the way back there are several sites in the St. Louis area and Southern Illinois area (if not too far) worth checking out. I'd check around to see what suits your interests since there are many but I really like the Fern Glen site and the Meramec Bridge site. I've heard good things about the Big Bend site but haven't actually been myself.

• I found this Informative 1