Jordanian Found Gastropod - Turritella?

3battalion

A number of years ago I was working in Jordan and not far outside Petra we stopped for a coffee by a little roadside stall. Not far away I noticed a kid selling various rocks on an upturned cardboard box. He looked dirt poor so to help him out I bought a number of different shapes and sizes just so he could make a sale. It wasn't until later on I noticed one of the rocks had what looks to be small Gastropods in the rock. Can anyone confirm these are Turritella?

Thanks

Paul 

Shell 1.jpg

shell.jpg

You could say that this is one of the many species which belong to the family of the Turritellidae ("tower snails"), but not necessarily Turritella sp. itself. In order to determine species or at least genus, one would need to know the precise stratigraphy and also be able to see the details of the ornamentation and structure of the shell, which does not seem to be possible here since they appear to be mineralized steinkerns.

• I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi Ludwigia, I appreciate your reply including the explanation on the family Turrutellidae and the requirements for identification. I'm enjoying the forum and am on a steep learning curve.

Thanks

Paul

• Thank You 1