Ammonite Number

Planko

I hear there are over 10k ammonite species.

If that number is true, who or what museum has the most? Thinking of starting down a long road but that's who I am.

Yes this is true, but I have absolutely no idea who has the most in their collection. I know someone who has already started down that road, so all I can say is good luck to you.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

7 hours ago, Planko said:

who or what museum has the most?

Difficult task!

You may ask some of the biggest museums in the world. Some may have their inventory online, so you may not need to ask, but most don´t.

Good luck!
Franz Bernhard

Well, that is quite a challenge. Even trying to collect every ammonite genera is a monumental task.

Note that the Ammonoids are not limited to the Mesozoic alone, there are also a ton of Palaeozoic genera / species.

Just tried to do a quick search on fossilworks on the subtaxa of the Ammonoidea and I got this message: “A full classification of the subtaxa is too large to display here”... :oO:

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Do you know how they defined what constitutes an ammonite when they came up with the number of over 10k species? I have to admit that the more I read about it, the more confused I get. I've seen a common use of the term ammonite to refer to any cephalopod with a spiral shell, or derived from a spiral shell (i.e. the heteromorph ammonites) that is not a nautiloid. The most current volume of the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology, Part L, Mollusca 4 (Revised), volume 2 (2009) refers to the Ammonoidea as a subclass, which includes all ammonoids with goniatitic, ceratitic and ammonitic sutures (including the order Goniatitida amongst others). On the other hand, it has also been used to describe those that have an ammonitic suture (order Ammonitida) and not those with a goniatitic or ceratitic suture (which are colloquially called goniatites and ceratites). The Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology, Part L, Mollusca 4 (Revised), volume 4 (1996), refers to the Ammonoidea as an order :shrug:. Looking forward to volume 1, which is yet to be published, to provide a definitive explanation, unless someone more up to date on the literature can explain it. 

Thanks for all the info. It is a task and probably will come no where close but will be fun. 

10k just is what I read on a website awhile back. Not aure if there is an actual number. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2021 at 4:27 PM, Ludwigia said:

I know someone...

Is this person you?

• Enjoyed 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

5 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Is this person you?

No. I firmly believe that anyone who has this goal in mind needs to believe in reincarnation in order to have a chance of success :P

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I think the biggest problem would be you could never finish. As soon as you get half way some paleontologist will find out what you're up to and rename a bunch and you'd have to restart!