Not my find - Skull?

Not my find but noticed this one on Reddit. What do you think.

Seems to be too much coincidence. My best guess a real skull covered in some deposits either marine or cave in origin. 

F1B49217-04E9-4F30-ADDC-885C63F5EBDD.jpeg

EB86F57C-0CB4-424A-81FE-F364D6D510A3.jpeg

AB6435C5-5A68-469C-96B8-9C5F6F1B9464.jpeg

A1F5C478-2096-4745-8387-53BCC49F4B49.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Looks to me where the places are more white seems to be where someone broke of certain chunks to make it look more like a skull? 

RB

• I Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I agree with Caterpiller, but I'd be interested to find out what the composition of this if someone here or on Reddit has the answer.

Most serious replies say corral. With that in mind you can see a rock at the centre where the coral grew on. Still curious how such a symmetrical shape is formed (enhanced?).

• I found this Informative 1

Where was this found? It looks very much like the geodized crinoids that are found in Indiana and Illinois.

50 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Where was this found? It looks very much like the geodized crinoids that are found in Indiana and Illinois.

On a farm in Kentucky (asked for more accurate information).

But I see the resemblance.

Edited by R0b

I think it is a "geode" in the broad sense of the pseudomorphs we've seen from other Mississippian Age limestone.  It is composed of "dirty" SiO2.  Here's one from Indiana with interesting, if unidentifiable, shape.

These geodiferous shales and thin limestones belong to the Knobstone division of the lower Carboniferous or Mississippian period. Their strata cap the rounded hills of Indiana and Kentucky, encircling that portion of these two States immediately underlaid by Devonian and Silurian rocks. Southern Indiana, in the vicinity of New Albany, and the " Knob " region of Kentucky, extending south Sketch showing Occurrence of Geodes in Knobstone Shales. and then southeast of Louisville, give many exposures of the Knobstone group.

. . . of most interest to the paleontologist is unquestionably that bearing upon the replacement of fossils. Shells and other fossil forms entirely replaced by silica are of common occurrence in the cherty or siliceous debris resulting from the waste of limestones. These siliceous pseudomorphs, as they are called, often preserve the original shape and markings of the fossil form

---Ray S. Bassler, US National Museum

geode_pseudomorph.thumb.JPG.0d2984bc60ac57637be5aa9642fc187e.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest