Help please! Newbie with Deteriorating Ammonite-type Fossil

starksight

I started off rinsing with water until I realized it was causing all the fine detail to disintegrate away (I saw little suction cups on the tentacles!). I think it'a pyrite disease? Is it?

I dunked it in a bowl of vinegar and it it still there now, hoping to stop the water damage and it seems to have halted the rapid deterioration, but now I'm concerned about the acid causing damage. What should I do next?

I read online that a phosphate treatment may replace the escaping sulfur and stop the oxidation and that a recommended field treatment would be common fertilizer. How the heck would I apply fertilizer to a fossil? I do have some chemicals in the house for art in furniture restoration, but definitely not pure phosphate.

Again, this is foreign territory. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you all!

Location: Annandale, Virginia within the Virginia Gold-Pyrite Belt. My neighborhood is in the Cambrian period, but there was a geographic displacement from the Blue Ridge Mountains into Northern VA, not sure how/if that figures into the scenario.

IMG_1269.jpeg

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_1272.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_1283.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

IMG_1285.jpeg

IMG_1286.jpeg

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

IMG_1290.jpeg

IMG_1291.jpeg

IMG_1292.jpeg

Edited by starksight

I have some mixed news.

On the one hand, there is little to worry about here with respect to pyrite disease since (and this leads me to "on the other hand") this does not seem to be an ammonite fossil. Judging by the images, it is a sedimentary rock with banding and mineral staining. Keep in mind as well that soft parts of ammonites, ammonoids, and nautiloids do not preserve, only the shell. 

Topic moved from "Forum Help & Suggestions." 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

It is not a rock.

Any helpful guidance from other folks on here regarding preventing deterioration? It's soft like chalk. Is there a way to strengthen/reinforce the mineral? I have read about PVA diluted in acetone.

IMG_1309.PNG

1751324402_IMG_13102.PNG

IMG_1325.jpg

@starksight, when you post images for reference, it really causes less confusion when you are clear which are yours and which are someone else's.

The rock you first posted is not an ammonite of any kind.  I also don't see any pyrite that you need to worry about.  What you thought might be "tentacles" could be bryozoans.  Others with local knowledge might have some insight.

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I have to agree - I see no recognizable fossils in this rock.

There may be some type of invertebrate fossil there, but I cannot make out anything I recognize.

Definitely not an ammonite nor any soft body preservation.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I am sorry to say this, but I agree that this does not look like a fossil. ;)

Edited by fossilhunter21