TyrannosaurusRex

Hey all! I’ve been at a loss for what to do with the scribe I purchased due to the fact it simply doesn’t work, and I’m wondering if anyone might have some advice about what I might could try. Perhaps I’m simply missing something I’m not aware of. 
Back in August, I purchased a Fossil Shack air scribe. Unfortunately, it didn’t work when I received it, and it was sent back. I did receive a replacement several weeks ago, and I got a chance to try and see if it worked over Thanksgiving break from school, but again, no luck. I had been told the one I’d received first was defective, and maybe this second one is as well, but I’m hoping that’s not the case. :( 

I’m using an in line air filter set to 50-60 PSI from a 20 Gallon air compressor. Haven’t gotten any sort of air coming from the scribe or anything, it seems to be ‘dead in the water’ as the saying goes. If anyone has advice for what I could try, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Thank you. 

well, start by diagnosing the components.  Are you sure you have air coming from the compressor to the tool (have you put something else like a blowgun on it?)
Is 50psi enough?  What does the user manual/guide say?  Most scribes like around 100 psi, but some are made to work with less pressure, so make sure.
Is the scribe turned on?  Most have some sort of on/off/speed control.
IF everything above is good, have you disassembled the scribe to check?  They are simple devices, dont be scared (youll have to do it for maintenance anyway).  take it apart, clean and lube the components.  Make sure air is coming in the back of the unit.  Reassemble and try again.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin