Fossil_Adult

I went to my local spot, Henson creek, and decided to check things out. I arrived and found some stingray and sand tiger shark teeth. I stumbled upon what I thought was bone, it totally turned out not to be bone. I am very happy about this find, even though it was the only thing of significance found today it doesn’t matter. It’s so perfect. 

It will probably be a while before I find another otodus tooth that size again! Here’s the photos:

image.thumb.jpg.250e89b2cf5f197e1a9aaea5610c321b.jpg

image.jpg.7b3cfa3ee101ae98ff6301c39da5e668.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2a1953b555ec91d44d9ca7ab04b23a56.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.9c2f9eef7741ac3abd2a51639b459301.jpg

The total length is over 1.5 inches, and would probably be hitting 1.75 if complete. What a screamer, I will never again question this creeks ability to produce killer teeth. 

• Enjoyed 5

15 hours ago, Bjohn170 said:

Absolutely stunning tooth! Congratulations! 

Thanks so much!

20 minutes ago, bthemoose said:

Beautiful Otodus!

yours as well! I don’t know about you but I’ve been seeing a lot of large otodus teeth on the forum lately. I wonder why so many people are finding such large teeth? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hang on, is this henson creek outside of Oxon Hill Md? I live in VA but love to hit all the MD/DC hotspots. I've heard of a henson creek having fossils. Could you tell me more about the age and type of fossils you can find there? It's closer to home than College Park and definitely Calvert Cliffs so I'd love to learn more about it.

19 hours ago, patelinho7 said:

Hang on, is this henson creek outside of Oxon Hill Md? I live in VA but love to hit all the MD/DC hotspots. I've heard of a henson creek having fossils. Could you tell me more about the age and type of fossils you can find there? It's closer to home than College Park and definitely Calvert Cliffs so I'd love to learn more about it.

It's zone 2 of the Aquia formation, which is Paleocene in age, exposed here. It definitely can pump out some really good finds, especially when you know what your doing. I tend to find lots of sand tiger teeth, goblin, hound shark, and Rutoti are very common in the area. Just downstream is where you can find your common invertebrate shell Cucullea giganyus. It's a cool little place to collect but if your like me I'd be careful going here alone, as PG county can get squirrely sometimes. Good luck I hope this answered your question!

5 hours ago, Fossil_teenager said:

It's zone 2 of the Aquia formation, which is Paleocene in age, exposed here. It definitely can pump out some really good finds, especially when you know what your doing. I tend to find lots of sand tiger teeth, goblin, hound shark, and Rutoti are very common in the area. Just downstream is where you can find your common invertebrate shell Cucullea giganyus. It's a cool little place to collect but if your like me I'd be careful going here alone, as PG county can get squirrely sometimes. Good luck I hope this answered your question!

Thanks so much! Do you know if the Henson Creek Park is worthwhile to hunt and safe to be in? 

7 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Awesome tooth! 

Congratulations!

-@fossilhunter21

Thank you!

3 hours ago, patelinho7 said:

Thanks so much! Do you know if the Henson Creek Park is worthwhile to hunt and safe to be in? 

The place I collected is right off of Fisher and Brinkley road. You have to find your own parking but once you do, you should be able to go down to the creek right below Brinkley road. I would suggest bringing a small screen and shovel for small sharks teeth. Also, bringing a small digging device (like a screwdriver) for anything sticking out the small bank area. Try not to dig too much into the bank so that other collectors can enjoy the area as well. I would recommend collecting this area because I found henson creek itself of lacking Paleocene exposures, but you can find stuff there as well. I have never had an unsafe time in this area but do be mindful that this is PG county so keep your head about you here. I hope this answers your question!

• I found this Informative 2

18 hours ago, Fossil_teenager said:

The place I collected is right off of Fisher and Brinkley road. You have to find your own parking but once you do, you should be able to go down to the creek right below Brinkley road. I would suggest bringing a small screen and shovel for small sharks teeth. Also, bringing a small digging device (like a screwdriver) for anything sticking out the small bank area. Try not to dig too much into the bank so that other collectors can enjoy the area as well. I would recommend collecting this area because I found henson creek itself of lacking Paleocene exposures, but you can find stuff there as well. I have never had an unsafe time in this area but do be mindful that this is PG county so keep your head about you here. I hope this answers your question!

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!