Please help to identify fossil

Thennarasu

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Would you like to specify formation?

The last one reminds me of some Triassic flora over here, but that is most probably just coincidence.

Franz Bernhard

Hi Franz Bernard

Many thanks for your message.  I simply have no idea what these are . I am basically looking for name of the fossil/plant species and the period to which they belong.

Regards

Then

Usually the other way around works better. Without knowing the location and formation (geological age), identification for most fossils is impossible as there are too many options and similar organisms. Search the internet for a geological map of the area where you found them and see if you can provide additional information.

• I Agree 1

Many thanks...elsewhere in the internet I see the location could belong to upper gondwana or cretaceous period... Taeniopteris and Ptilophyllum plant varieties are the usual ones found in this location

Try to name the formation by using a geologic bedrock map. Also, "Gondwana" is not a geologic period. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This location is some times referred as upper gondwana formation and wikipedia refers as below '. Sriperumbudur belongs to the Sriperumbudur Formation, which is characterised by arenaceous and argillaceous rock units composed of splintery green shale, clays, and sandstones with ironstone intercalation.'

See figure 2 for similar plant fossils from the Early Cretaceous Sriperumbudur Formation:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Annamraju-Rajanikanth/publication/260564267_An_Integrated_Inquiry_of_Early_Cretaceous_Flora_Palar_Basin_India/links/02e7e53199745756ec000000/An-Integrated-Inquiry-of-Early-Cretaceous-Flora-Palar-Basin-India.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Rajanikanth et al., 2010. An Integrated Inquiry of Early Cretaceous Flora, Palar Basin, India, Phytomorphology: An International Journal of Plant Morphology 60(1&3)(60(1&3))

Help @paleoflor Elatocladus plana?

66B1BEB4-D6D6-4758-A27E-62B2BA2E982A.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Location in India where you found the fossils? 

I think I can help. Also agree that 2nd photo is mineral staining.

- Kailash

13 hours ago, Thennarasu said:

I found this fossil in Gunduperumbedu village of Sriperumbudur town near Chennai, Tamilnadu

Ok after cross-referencing maps, I believe the age of that region is Quaternary. Would explain the relatively well-preserved plant fossils. Not sure what type they are, but hopefully the age can help plant fossil experts identify